X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Harold Mabern RIP

News confirmed that the pianist Harold Mabern has just died. One of the Memphis "cadre" of George Coleman, Frank Strozier, Phineas Newborn, Hank Crawford etc. I think Alyn did a "Jazz Library" with him?

Here he is on Lee Morgan's "Gigalo" from the very fine Bluenote album of the same name. Tenor sax, Wayne Shorter.

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"JOHN BEIFUSS | MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL | 8 hours ago...
    Memphis jazz great Harold Mabern, a product of the city's fertile high school music scene who became a master of soulful "post-bop" piano, has died. He was 83.

He was known for playing with such legends as Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins.

Mabern's death was announced Thursday by his current record label, Smoke Sessions Records, based in New York, where Mabern lived much of his adult life. A cause of death was not announced.

Attending Douglass and then Manassas High School (which was famed for its music program), Mabern belonged to an unparalleled generation of Memphis jazz musicians that came of age in the 1950s. That generation included pianist Phineas Newborn Jr., trumpet player Booker Little and saxophonists George Coleman, Frank Strozier and Hank Crawford in its ranks. "

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

Never did do a Jazz Library with him. Wish I had...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Sorry Alyn, it was Cedar Walton I remembered.

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

Such a womdeful player. Loved him playing solo even more than in a trio or group.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Harold Mabern with Eric Alexander, 2014 playing a blooooooze at Linda's. Up close and personal, he's a big guy. Lovely stuff.

BN.

Comment

Working...
            X