X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Bob Wilber RIP....

WBGO..." Bob Wilber, saxophonist, clarinetist and bandleader who spearheaded a traditional jazz revival in the face of a postwar modernist boom, and kept the faith well into a new century, died on Aug. 4 in Chipping Campden, England. He was 91.

His death was confirmed by his wife, JoAnne “Pug” Horton, an English jazz and blues singer who was also his close musical collaborator for more than 40 years.

Wilber was revered among jazz traditionalists for his profound commitment to the idiom, his melodic flair as an improviser, and his singing, mellifluous tone — especially on soprano saxophone, the instrument favored by his teacher and mentor, Sidney Bechet. In a field that valorizes (and often carefully monitors) the authenticity of musical expression, Wilber’s early apprenticeship with Bechet, one of jazz’s first important soloists, always counted for more than a mere endorsement.

But Wilber was a precocious, persuasive talent by anyone’s standard: he was still a high school student, in Scarsdale, N.Y., when he formed a band called The Wildcats with peers like pianist Dick Wellstood. The Wildcats became a fixture at Jimmy Ryan’s, the Dixieland haunt on Manhattan’s fabled 52nd Street, and recorded a few 78s for Commodore Records; their version of “Willie the Weeper,” a 1920s standard, appears on a compilation called The Commodore Story.

“Wilber is amazing,” critic and historian Dan Morgenstern wrote in his notes for that 2-CD set. “He has absorbed Bechet’s vocabulary and speaks it fluently, and he plays with authority. Of all the revivalist players, these were the best — and they would soon leave mimicry behind.”

I'm also told he made some well regarded "play along" records for aspiring saxophonists...

BN.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Bob Wilber talking about '40s saxophone players...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

"Bob Wilber - A tribute to Coleman Hawkins". Nice "fat" ensembles...

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

I liked Bob a lot, we toured together in Switzerland in the late 80s a couple of years running, and his playing was always excellent. Later we got together to record this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kh0tv

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

At one point in the 1980s Bob Wilber was a regular visit to the south and places like the Concorde Club. I had no idea that he lived in the UK .

Wilber was probably best known for being a pupil of the great Sidney Bechet and also co-leading a band with Kenny Davern called "Soprano Summit" which almost enjoyed mythical status amongst many jazz fans in the late 1960s and 70s. I seem to recall them being around at a time when jazz was really in the doldrums but my Dad was a big fan and I know that other people I was around when I was getting into jazz felt the same about this group.

At one point he led a group called "The Bechet Legacy" which featured a trumpeter called Glenn Zottola. I always wondered what happened to him. Around the early 1980s the local BBC Station had a jazz programme fronted by clarinetist Chris Walker and he was continually praising Zottola whenever this band was featured. I never found out what happened to him.

The latest projects Bob Wilber was involved in was rescuing obscure charts by the likes of Fletcher Henderson that were written for Benny Goodman. I believe they were recorded by a big band from Toulouse.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

As of c. 2014 Zottola still appeared to be active and recording a series of small label tribute CDs; Clifford, Miles, Bird etc. He doubles on saxophones. He's got a web site.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

It was Bechet Legacy I toured with in 1989 and 1990, though thankfully not with Zottola, but with UK ex-pat Clive Wilson from New Orleans on trumpet. I heard Glenn with Woody Herman's small group when I was working in NY and he suffered from a total taste bypass, which was a shame in a band that otherwise had Woody, Joe Bushkin, Major Holley and Bobby Rosengarden.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                It was Bechet Legacy I toured with in 1989 and 1990, though thankfully not with Zottola, but with UK ex-pat Clive Wilson from New Orleans on trumpet. I heard Glenn with Woody Herman's small group when I was working in NY and he suffered from a total taste bypass, which was a shame in a band that otherwise had Woody, Joe Bushkin, Major Holley and Bobby Rosengarden.
                The New York Times now has (as of yesterday) a fairly decent obit, from which...

"Over a long apprenticeship, Mr. Wilber developed his own take on Bechet’s style, with its ribbony vibrato and stoutly articulated melodies, first on clarinet and then on soprano saxophone. For much of Mr. Wilber’s career his affiliation with Bechet would be both a calling card and a cross to bear; he would never fully escape his identity as Bechet’s top protégé.

The Wildcats — which sometimes employed a racially integrated lineup, a rarity for the era — recorded a number of well-received sides for the Commodore and Riverside labels, a few of them featuring Bechet as a guest star.

Mr. Wilber soon grew tired of the comparisons to Bechet, and of the murmurs he heard that he would never define his own approach. He studied briefly in the early 1950s with two leading modernists, the pianist Lennie Tristano and the saxophonist Lee Konitz, before being drafted into the Army in 1952. He spent two years playing in a military ensemble in New York while studying with Leon Russianoff, working to expand his identity on the clarinet..."

Tristano seemed to be the goto guy then...the Charles Atlas of modernism. (Joke)

BN.
                Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 10-08-19, 14:04.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

I cannot recall where I read about it but Bud Freeman was another "early" stylist who sought out Tristano albeit I believe the pianist declined since he felt he would have compromised Freeman's originality. I wonder if you had ever read the Lee Konitz book about improvisation which, from recollection, was based on some conversations with Graham Lock? The insight in to Tristano's approach to improvisation was a revelation as it seemed to really get down to the mechanics of things more than I have seen explained in any work shop. There was one comment about him talking about Tristano getting students at looking at commencing the same phrase from different beats in a bar or starting a phrase from different intervals of a scale / chord.

It is intriguing when you consider Tristano as being a "modernist" with Wilber being associated (perhaps erroneously) with more traditional forms of jazz but I think when you look at issues such as starting an improvised line from different beats in the bar, etc, you can appreciate that it would be relevant and useful in all styles of jazz.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

I was perhaps bring a little flip. But it's an interesting point how many more traditional (for want of a better word) musicians took time out with Tristano? Britain's Bruce Turner I think also?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

One aspect of jazz that has always intrigued me is how techniques and ideas are disseminated in jazz. Since the late forties, Universities such as North Texas have run jazz courses but I often wonder when musicians of an earlier generation are said to have studied with other musicians what this entails. I believe that Wilber actually lived with Bechet at one point to the extent that I think he was almost adopted. I read a chapter in a book about it written, I think, by Alun Morgan many years ago. It was pretty informative. However, this is the tip of the iceberg and I have often come across the likes of Count Basie studying with Fats Waller or Earl Hines giving lessons to Andrew Hill. The whole process must have been fascinating although Tristano must surely have been a pioneer in looking at the minutiae of improvisation.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

Obituary of Bob Wilber in Jazz Journal:

Like many long-lived musicians, Bob Wilber’s career spanned several stylistic eras. During more than six decades he accommodated change without losing sight of his musical foundations and neither did he adjust his very high standards. Not only performing, he also composed and was active in jazz education. He was born Robert Sage Wilber in New […]

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

The "mentoring" thing is really interesting & significant. I think Bennie Maupin was kind of "adopted" by Sonny Rollins? And many more grew this way. On the blues side, a few of the 60s upcoming white guys lived in Muddy Waters basement. Tutored by Little Water. I had a friend who went to Chicago c 1965 and studied guitar with Matt Murphy (Chess records etc). Hopeless when he left the UK, truly remarkable when he came back. How it's done.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            I was perhaps bring a little flip. But it's an interesting point how many more traditional (for want of a better word) musicians took time out with Tristano? Britain's Bruce Turner I think also?
                            Indeed so - and likewise he felt it incumbent to "do" as faithful a copy of Benny Carter or Johnny Hodges when leading his own Jump Band or playing with Humph as taking a more independent line alongside Mike Garrick and Lol Coxhill in Dave Green's band Fingers. "A real proper gent, even though he was a Communist. Always called me 'Dad'", one of his lady loves told me. Bruce was in the States with Tristano around the same time as was Peter Ind, who played on most of Lennie's 1950s recordings, though I don't believe Turner ever recorded with Tristano. I must get his autobiography Hot Air, Cool Music off the shelves again sometime.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

1968 (live)..."Harrogate Festival of Arts and Sciences, The Royal Hall, Harrogate, England
                              Lennie Tristano (p), Peter Ind (b) *= add Bruce Turner (as), Charles Burchell (ts), Derek Phillips (g), Bernie Cash (b) (omit Ind).
                              (Note: In his review of this concert, Victor Schonfield does not mention I can't Believe That You're In Love With Me but does state that the concert ended with Two Not One played by LT with Ind, Turner, Burchell and Phillips.) "

BN.

Comment

Working...
                              X