• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Louis Moholo Moholo JL 4.xii

One for the afficionados eh!

Seven For Seventy: Louis Moholo-Moholo - Drums;Francine Luce - vocals; Jason Yarde - alto,soprano & baritone sax; Henry Lowther - trumpet & flugel horn; Ntsh...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Well, for me this is an example of when Jazz library works best for me. I had not heard a great deal of Louis Moholo's work as the area I thought he worked in was not particularly one of my favourites. That said, aside from the track with Evan Parker and the last number which was a bit of a mess, the music was terrific. There is an element of joy in this music which makes it immdiately appealing and the tracks with Chris McGregor and Dudu Puckwana are exactly the kind of jazz I would introduce to someone if they had an aversion to more adventurous idioms as an example that the music need not be a daunting experience. That said, the stand out performance was the solo by Mike Osborne, a kind of mixture of Jackie McLean and John Coltrane. The alto really jumped out of the speakers with the attack that immediately grabbed your attention. From what little I have heard of his work (and particularly that solo) you would have to out him in the same class as Joe Harriott or Tubby Hayes.

I also thought the Cecil Taylor track was fabulous. Sometimes I am fascinated by what he does on the piano but there can be a lack of variety in his work that makes prolonged exposure a challenge. I don't think what he plays always works and can understand by the likes of Kenny Barron amongst others have been negative. CT is a bit like the other side of the coin to Bill Evans who worked largely in an opposite extreme. The duo with Moholo seemed to show a more focused approach from Taylor.

All in all, a very interesting and enjoyable programme. Nice to discover something new once in a while.

Comment

Working...
    X