X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

:cool2: block chords red!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

On Spotify

Comment

• charles t
        • Nov 2010

If John Fordham recommends, then...

Don't believe the album title – this lot know what they're doing, and they've created something gripping and remarkable here, says John Fordham

Comment

• charles t
          • Nov 2010

Meadow

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 21-02-11, 19:58. Reason: adding link

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I've been listening to a lot of Pat Metheny over the last few weeks and dug out "Offramp" to play in the car today. I haven't given this CD a spin for ages and it is remarkable just how PM's music has developed over the period of thirty years. This disc has some of Metheny's most memorable compositions on it including "James" which is almost a jazz standard. However, I am taken by the free improv thrash of the title track, an Ornette-ish riff played at break-neck speed over a series of major chords which serve as tonal centres for the solo. This must be extremely difficult to accomplish with a group.

Also on the play list has been the album by Bob Curnow's big band of Metheny music which serves to demonstrate that the PMG is effectively working with an orchestral palette. Many of Curnow's charts seem like a literal translation of the PMG charts but are very much brought to life by soloists of the calibre of Bobby Shew and Buddy Collette. Mention is made of Curnow's old boss, Stan Kenton, in the liner notes and this seems very wide of the mark as the arrangements lack the tasteless bombast of the older man's orchestra. There are plenty of tunes on this disc which stand out (the ballad "Always and forever" is particularly beautiful) but none is quite as effective as "Every summer night."

Listening to this music has prompted me to get the Pat Metheny songbook from out of the cupboard and look once more at the writing. Some of the material has a naiveness about it whereas a significant element seems unsuitable for solo piano as it is a transcription of a fleshed out score. There are few compositions here that you could class as "blowing vehicles" although when you do find something like "Soul Cowboy", even this blues is modified harmonically. Few musicians in any field of music has done as much as Metheny to make very complex musical ideas so accessible.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

.........and now for something completely different:

Stan Getz plays "I remember when", composed and arranged by Eddie Sauter, Verve Records, 1961, from the album "Focus".

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

... i defy you not to dance Thelonious style, shuffling around your chair in reveries of smiling good cheer ....

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

and this gem with Henry Grimes and Pete LaRoca

one for connoisseurs

calypso man, calypso ... it's joyful .....

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Wynton Kelly with Wes Montgomery

plus Johnny Griffin

jazz may be many things in different times and places; but the above two tracks are hard core jazz at any time or in any place .... and provide a living demonstration of jazz time, this is the 'groove' the 'feel, swing in an archetypal form ... and Kelly is at the centre of the action ... more on him here

... born in Jamaica Kelly built his career in the USA; he died in 1971 at the cruelly early age of 39 of an epileptic seizure

Comment

• charles t
                      • Nov 2010

Perfect nomenclature for this latest from Donny McCaslin - Perpetual Motion.

This tenorist's style has the effect on this listener, as having a fixed arrival point in mind - particularly on the longer (namesake) tune - Perpetual Motion.

Also the CD clocks in at an honest 70" - unlike many current releases I have forked-out at 45" - 48" - back to the LP era.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Charles

snap!!

Just ordered this cd myself today. It received some very good reviews on all about jazz

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

i sometimes think we didn't know we were born in the 60s

when i look in your eyes with Helen Merrill

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Ah - Bösendorfer!
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Happy birthday, Ornette!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

indeed! happy birthday Ornette

Comment

Working...
                                X