• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...this one pianorak?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

that piano is a tad prominent on Liebestraum eh?

info on this cheerful extroverted recording artist from a sympathetic pov here:

Explore Earl Bostic's discography including top tracks, albums, and reviews. Learn all about Earl Bostic on AllMusic.

er who said it all went wrong?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      . . . that piano is a tad prominent on Liebestraum eh?
      Calum, a piano can NEVER be too prominent!

Apparently Artur Rubinstein always urged the recording engineers to give more prominence to his piano sound - and b*gger the rest!

Yes, that's the one. Even got that green Odeon cover. Just checked on amazon and Bostic is actually available on CD.
      Thanks for all the links - which transformed this Friday morning from wall-to-wall rain into wall-to-wall sunshine!
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

one of the Duke's finest piano recordings with stellar company and Mingus in awe
        Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 08-01-11, 11:56. Reason: rethink
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          one of the Duke's finest piano recordings with stellar company and Mingus in awe
          Thanks, Calum, I enjoyed that! There appear to be nowadays quite a number of black opera singers who in the bad old days would have had no choice but to turn to gospel and jazz. Just wondering if black jazz pianists like The Duke would have turned into first-rate concert pianists if prevailing conditions had allowed. Just an idle thought.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Ellington’s mother Daisy was a high school graduate of strong religious convictions who played piano and insisted on piano lessons for Edward (with the unforgettably named Marietta Clinkscales).

... i think that his destiny was what it it was Pianorak, a one man whirlwind for African American Music

From the start he often distanced himself from the rubric of jazz (as later from swing), preferring to be considered “beyond category.” But he showed little inclination to associate himself with the supposed prestige of European traditions. In a 1934 interview he declared: “You can’t stay in the European conservatory and play the negro music…. Negro music is what we are working on. Not as a component of jazz, but as a definite unadulterated musical entity.” He returned to the same theme many times, remarking in 1938: “There is something lasting…to be obtained from the Negro idiom of music…. Negro music has color, harmony, melody, and rhythm. It’s what I’m most interested in.” And again in 1939: “Our music is always intended to be definitely and purely racial…. Those things which we have to say, we try to express musically with the greatest possible degree of freedom of inspiration and individuality.” If people heard Schoenbergian echoes in his music, he ventured to suggest, they were projecting out of their own “subconscious activity.”
            Music was not a predestined career choice for Ellington. He liked to draw and attended a commercial art school, and in his teens ran a sign-painting business. But by age fifteen he had discovered the profits and pleasures of music, acquiring the musical knowledge he needed not systematically but by absorbing what he could from every musician he encountered, whether formally trained or not, plunging into the heart of an emerging musical culture of vital exchanges: "The ear cats loved what the schooled cats did," he wrote, "and the schooled guys, with fascination, would try what the ear cats were doing."

... if you enjoyed that Pianorak check the Yard thread #48 for some more ....

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

just curl up by the fire innit ....

Comment

• Anna

I've been playing Avishai Cohen Continu I like it very much. Many here will say it is not Jazz but Ambient or something.

Just realised this is on wrong thread, should be albums and their covers! <doh>
                Last edited by Guest; 11-01-11, 19:53.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i shouldn't let that worry you Anna, this is the jazz bit innit! you are more than welcome to post any observation/comments anywhere [anarchy lures]

...and er sounds jazz to me, not ambient or something .... here is a review from our old friend from the other bored, Pierre:

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Seamus Blake, "Live in Italy".

A slightly frustrating record: every track has passages which are genuinely inspired, but also ones which are merely ultra-proficient. Blake and pianist David Kikoski both play some marvellous stuff, and there's a lovely bouncing swing from the rhythm section. This is very much a band, not merely four guys on stage at the same time. But despite repeated listenings I can't make up my mind if it's a five-star album with three-star moments or vice-versa.

Anyway, here's the promo video for it, to give you a taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7Nf1rTpb8

Comment

• Anna

Calum, Pete Marsh sent me three bags of goodies, one of which was the Cohen. I think he liked me!

That Seamus Blake, very nice, but I see he did Dark Side of the Moon, but jazz? Might search that out.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

yep Pierre was a gent!

as four people go who come together to cut an album for Blue Note, it doesn't come better than this ....

Comment

• Anna

The Best of Elmore James Is that sad? I don't think so

Comment

• charles t
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            That Seamus Blake, very nice, but I see he did Dark Side of the Moon, but jazz? Might search that out.
                            If you have a Super Audio setup, you will especially dig Dark Side, Anna.

Comment

• Anna

I decided to go totally Goth, Sisters of Mercy!!

Followed by Bauhaus, the Mission and the Cult!! No hope for me! Goodnight all.
                              Last edited by Guest; 14-01-11, 23:55.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

He was using an electric guitar by this time, not the Selmer acoustic with a soundhole-mounted pickup seen in some photos. The difference is astounding. He has mastered the instrument and we hear the influence that Parker and Dizzy have had on him

twofer day maestros later styles ....

an under appreciated session by Pops

wow check the white socks and loafers .....
                                Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 17-01-11, 14:28. Reason: just seen the socks 'n shoes

Comment

Working...
                                X