X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

on the line of blue note cookers so ably presented by Byas;'d above this one rang my bell ...Pepper Adams chops are a marvel ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

about time this thread re-appeared

review 1

review 2

oh man i iz loving it ......
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• grippie

Loving it toooooooo

Calum how about a thought for the day too?

Thought for the Day !

If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you would have £49.00 today.

If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in AIG insurance company one year ago, you would have £33.00 today.

If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers five years ago, you would have nothing today.

If you had purchased £1,000 of shares in Northern Rock three years ago, you would have nothing today

But, if you had purchased £1,000 worth of beer one year ago at Tesco's, drunk all the beer, then taken the aluminum cans to the scrap metal dealer, you would have received £214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle.

A recent study found that the average Briton walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Britons drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

That means that, on average, Britons get about 41 miles to the gallon!

Makes you proud to be British! Cheeeeeeers

Comment

• grippie

http://youtu.be/HE5pe8LUodQ

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

another unreconstructed rockabilly head piece eh ......

another oldie but goodie

Comment

• grippie

I like it, I like it! 4 mins of joy eh?

I've been playing Sonny Red's out of the Blue after the comments on da bord, nice to get prompted to dig items out, right next to it was J.R.Montrose's Blue Note with Ira Sullivan trumpet. Not played for yonks! Had a Blue Note morning.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

way to go grippie ... an example to us all!

Sidney DeParis (tp) Vic Dickenson (tb) Ben Webster (ts) James P. Johnson (p) Jimmy Shirley (g) John Simmons (b) Sidney Catlett (d)
                WOR Studios, NYC, March 4, 1944
                BN950-1 Blue Mizz
                BN951-3 Victory Stride

Comment

• grippie

Phew that was lovely and it was cleaned up so nicely like new

beautiful, this is not a load of old junk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKub...feature=colike

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Pianist Lowell Davidson was a recent discovery for me. Interesting to hear him with Gary Peacock & Milford Graves on his 1965 ESP album:

"L"Lowell Davidson - TrioLowell Davidson: pianoGary Peacock: bassMilford Graves: percussionESP 1012All compositions by Lowell Davidson (ESP Disk' Ltd. ASCAP)...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                        Pianist Lowell Davidson was a recent discovery for me. Interesting to hear him with Gary Peacock & Milford Graves on his 1965 ESP album:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xomcmbbKJH8
                        New name to me too - somewhere in a gap betwixt Paul Bley and Don Pullen, at first impression. How many more to come out of that particular period's woodwork I wonder... Wouldn't mind betting our own Howard Riley was aware of him.

(Offtopic, but by coincidence received a brief facebook hello from Annette Peacock this morn - living as she does at Woodstock I'm sure boredees will also be relieved to hear that).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

.......er ahem my excuse is it is for El Senor Blues's reveries

This live set (recorded at the Village Gate) finds pianist/composer Horace Silver and his most acclaimed quintet (the one with trumpeter Blue Mitchell, tenor saxophonist Junior Cook, bassist Gene Taylor and drummer Roy Brooks) stretching out on four selections, including his new song "Filthy McNasty." Two shorter performances were added to the CD version of this enjoyable and always funky hard bop session.
                          allmusic

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

An elusive Yusef album from 1957. Powerful tenor playing!

From the LP "Before Dawn: The Music Of Yusef Lateef"Verve MGV-8217 1957.Yusef Lateef - Tenor Sax & Argol; Curtis Fuller - Trombone; Hugh Lawson - Piano; Erni...

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Jrook, I have this album on Savoy? Great Dexterish booting tenor, Yusef is in danger of being neglected so thanks a lot for posting...

There's a track where he and the band prefigure the Love Supreme riff on the Savoy sessions with Curtis Fuller...or maybe its a four note figure that sits with the tenor. Anyway, a joy. Supreme.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

As far as I know John Coltrane & Jackie McLean recorded only one session together in April, 1957.
                                Here's the joyful 'Blue Calypso' from that session which can be found on Mal Waldron's 'Mal-2'(OJC).

mal, waldron, john, coltrane, art, taylor, julian, euell, bill, hardman, jackie, mclean, jazz, blue, calipso, musica

Comment

Working...
                                X