Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Thanks Calum, mucho. Babel Records - for my PayPal's worth - sent me an atrocious CD - This Is Not Fusion. Some world music crap...should'a been entitled - This Is Not Music. Will be taking to Amoeba Music this Monday hoping for $4-$5 credit. Dreamer?

I did contact Allsopp and he had offered to send me a copy but ended-up ordering from Jazzcds.uk - really fine people!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... a classic ... Monk is dancing in the passages with silent piano Uncle Monty
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Is this a thread mainly devoted to classics? Or dare I mention a new CD?

S-A

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

this is a thread devoted to jazz albums and their covers of any vintage .... eg Raspberry Tongue! its jazz innit anarchy rules etc ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

anarchy etc so not an album as such

and an example of Diehl and chums playing Bags Groove:

The Music of the Modern Jazz Quartet: Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola at Jazz at Lincoln Center's Frederick P. Rose Hall. Warren Wolf (vibraphone), Aaron Diehl (piano...

the original album i was looking for is known to me as Sait-on jamais:

and them in their pomp:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... one day we will get round to documenting Lewis's contribution to jazz .....
            Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 09-12-10, 15:43.

Comment

• charles t
              • Nov 2010

Calum - Thee is an unforgettable scene in No Sun In Venice aka Sait-on-Jamais of the funeral cortege of black gondolas down the Canal and only the MJQ's Cortege being heard on the soundtrack.

I consider it most fortunate that I heard the group perform this album - live...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

yes Chas, my elder sister saw the movie on its release in Paris and the MJQ perform it there, she was entranced by it for the rest of her life, i caught the bug from her!

i really appreciated Mr Diehl's work on the John Lewis archive which he describes on Do The Math Blog ....

Comment

• charles t
                  • Nov 2010

Coincident with John Surman's appearance (from the 2009 London Jazz Fest) now on Jazz Lineup for one more day - I picked up these Surman contributions at a used bookstore ystdy:

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Do not know those....this is a favourite....

bong ching

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                      • Dec 2010

Just discovered this:

That version of "Tones for Joan's Bones" really is excellent
                      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

genius

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

before the theory became quantum with a central uncertainty there was a classic period and this is one of its classic works, this is the uk cover, the second lp i ever scored at the Gate Bookshop in Notting Hill Gate ....

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

oh mama!

Comment

• grippie

Good thinking that man! Playing Archie Shepp's Four for Trane. Roswell Rudd's trombone pheeeeeeeeeeew.

Comment

• charles t
                                • Nov 2010

Once a Soft, always a Soft...

Comment

Working...
                                X