X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Charles

The Donny McCaslin CD "Perpetual Motion" arrived in the post yesterday and having given it a preliminary spin, I must admit that that on first listen it is a huge let down. Although I haven't yet given it my thorough attention, this is the first time that I have felt that this tenor saxophonist's work seems an almost in thrall of the late Michael Brecker. I have quite a few of his recordings with "In pursuit" and his work with Dave Douglas' quintet "Live at the Jazz Standard" being exceptional but this seems to lack compositions which stand out and performances which lack the kind of bite that I would have anticipated from the musicians featured.

Perhaps the quartet line -up is almost too similar to the kind of group Brecker often fronted? The playing is hugely impresssive, McCaslin's solo's showing just how far technique and musicial understand has taken jazz playing in the last few years. The tenor playing is of a high standard, with McCaslin nicely chopping up his oddly-shaped phrases yet , being familiar with his work, sometimes he definately is playing licks . I keep imagining how Brecker would sound in the same context and seeing that McCaslin is definately MB's heir in the scope of things jazzy, my conclusion wouldn't be favourable to the younger musician. Some posters (Byas?) have expressed comments that they didn't like Brecker and this is definately a disc they will want to avoid. The music seems a bit cold and uninvolved and some vital ingredient is missing which takes this music to another level. Adam Benjamin's fender is nowhere as near as incisive as in the case with his work with "Keystone" and even Antonio Sanchez's drumming seems a tad too comfortable. The whole thing seems a mish-mash of a contemporary spin of 70's jazz rock (without the grit) and Brecker-lite. So far, I have been disappointed with this record.

A proper listen may change my opinion but it definately has not grabbed me the way recent "Keystone" discs have.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Charles

Listened again and think it is probably a bit better than I initially thought although maybe not strong enough to sustain over 70 + minutes. McCaslin is definately one of the top players in today's scene but the standard of composition is which as high as on previous discs. Judging by the opening of the track "Claire", I doubt whether there are many players capable of building up a similar head of steam - easily one of the best moments on the disc. Quite like the solo piano feature at the end of the record, even though it is at odds with the rest of the disc. Odd to see the whole thing described as "Jazz - rock / electronica" by John Kelman on "all about jazz" as this seems a pretty orthodox jazz record to my ears. Granted that there is a use of electric bass and fender, it is more mainstream that JK suggested. Interesting to contrast with current British groups like "Polar Bear" with whom this disc could be compared. I think the American's have nailed this kind of thing far more successfully albeit not so readily jettisoning the "jazz" thing as quickly as Seb Roachford's group.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Nikolai Kapustin - 12 Preludes In Jazz Style Op. 53 No. 12Nikolai Kapustin, Piano

The acceptable face of cross-over?
        Last edited by Pianorak; 17-03-11, 12:18.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• charles t
          • Nov 2010

Very funny that your mixed-emotions about McCaslin's Perpetual Motion, paralled mine, so-to-speak.

Shortly after arriving via the River, it appeared on a subscription list I sometime use (100 tunes for $20.00)...of which only about a dozen jazz releases in a month! So I got mad and virtually gave it (original copy) away on ebay.

Having had the opportunity to hear Brecker (twice) and McCaslin in person I let the negative polarity encountered at times in postings, etc., just wash over.

Maybe put on Pat M's 80/81 with Mike!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Charles

"Perpetual Motion" is definately something that gets better with each listen and I think the latter half of the disc is easily the most interesting. I think "Firefly" is intriguing insofar that for the first two minutes everything moves at an extremely slow pace before you get drawn it and hooked by the off-kilter drumming. Slowly the whole composition seems to come into focus to culminate in a kind of stateliness that couldn't have been predicted by the apparent lack of activity with which this music starts.

As I said, McCaslin is very impressive and obviously influenced by Brecker but whilst the older player had a knack of ratcheting up the tension as he constructed his follows, McCaslin prefers to assemble bizarre phrases together and push his phrasing add odds with the underlying groove. Pay close attention and I think you are rewarded by some pretty intelligent playing. Great tone too. There seem to be some very gifted young tenor players around at the moment like Marcus Strickland, J D Allen and Walter Smith III which deserve closer exploration. McCaslin does seem to be a class apart though and this , for me , is the issue. I think he is now attaining such stature that it is not unreasonable to expect a high standard with each release.

The "rock" comparisons by John Kelman seem totally wide of the mark having lived with theis CD for over a week and I don't hear anything that suggests this is anything other than an uncompromised jazz record. Kelman's reviews are always good reading and although I tend to disagree with many of his conclusions, the sentiments often chime with mine. His hagiographical treatment of anything ECM isn't that objective and there is a reluctance to criticise which makes it impossible to take his reviews for music on this label too seriously.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

"Soul Food" ~ Cyrus Chestnut

This is great fun. The whole disc is a mix n' match of Oscar Peterson like trios, a quartet with Stefon Harris which pushes things a bit and then a larger group with Marcus Printup, Wycliffe Gordon and the excellent James Carter. The title track is the kind of sly tune that Sonny Clark could have written. Chestnut's work always seems very good natured and it is a shame that he is somewhat under-appreciated. The tune "Brother Hawky Hawk" is not too far from the kind of territory Wynton Marsalis favours whilst not quite taking itself quite as serious as the trumpeter. Not hard to understand why this has been requested a few times on JRR. I also like Lewis Nash's drums -another reliable musician who is taken for granted. Can't recall hearing anything with him on that isn't excellent.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

now showing bbc2!
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

one of the more interesting pianists at work today

his trio in action

review and samples
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Suite for tenor sax and big band originally written for Joe Lovano. Lovano gave the first performances and was intended to be the soloist on the album, but he broke both arms just before the recording sessions, so Smith took on the solo part himself.

Pianist Steve Hamilton and drummer Alyn Cosker get a little solo space, but otherwise it's tenor and orchestra all the way. Smith's ability to use changes in the timbre and attack of his playing for expressive effect strikes me as pretty much unsurpassed. The big band writing's much more in the Gil Evans school of atmospheric orchestral writing rather than the Count Basie riffing big band tradition.

Very impressive if sometimes slightly hard work.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

interesting Byas'd; samples here

i shall look for it on my monthly dld at emusic ....

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Byas

I also find Tommy Smith's work hard to listen to. There is a coldness about it and a lack of fun / humour / humanity in his compositions that is very much off-putting. I've heard him play live on a few occasions and the best that you can say about his music is that it is worthy. A concert with a band that included Lovano, Scofield and John Taylor several years back was one of the most under-whelming I have heard - it was extremely boring.

Comment

• charles t
                          • Nov 2010

OUTHOUSE - Straw, Sticks + Bricks (Babel Records)

Indebted to Jazzwise Magazine for calling attention to this.

Tom Challenger, tenor has replaced Mark Hanslip on this release as part of the duo sax's (Robin Fincker is the other tenorist/clarinet).

Johnny Brierley, bass

and Dave Smith, drummer who is really getting to my ears with this group and with Challenger's MA - that's right, Mom - MA; as well as with James Allsopp.

Hilmar Jenson, guitar by way of Iceland, also appears.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

i'll look out for them on emusic chas; like this performance in Cafe Oto a few years back

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

i am a major fan of Duke Pearson and this has just recently emerged, an interesting line up - two trumpets Byrd and Johnny Coles!

alas can find no clips of the music but i am really enjoying my dld from emusic, it is available from amazon uk as an album or mp3 for not too much

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                                i am a major fan of Duke Pearson and this has just recently emerged, an interesting line up - two trumpets Byrd and Johnny Coles!

alas can find no clips of the music but i am really enjoying my dld from emusic, it is available from amazon uk as an album or mp3 for not too much
                                Calum, for the Spotifiers among you it's available at:
                                Album · Duke Pearson Quintet · 2008 · 13 songs

- sounds good to me, albeit that I've got to put up with the breaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X