Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Theres a good picture of Jackie and Trane together at that date...Jackie wearing his cooooooool hat.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

this hat looks cool

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Only Monk and Dipsy from the Teletubbies had cooooooler hats than Jackie in the 50s.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

beg to differ etc ..

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            this hat looks cool

I paid six eighths of my wages for a hat like that in '65. Still have it but only fits with a squeeze now - head's gotten too big in the mean time (everyone agrees).

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Point taken Calum...and Lee Morgan always looked tres hip in his clipped brim hat...and then there's Bud Powell in his black beret...

Jazz today....not enough cool hats.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                Jrook, I have this album on Savoy? Great Dexterish booting tenor, Yusef is in danger of being neglected so thanks a lot for posting...

There's a track where he and the band prefigure the Love Supreme riff on the Savoy sessions with Curtis Fuller...or maybe its a four note figure that sits with the tenor. Anyway, a joy. Supreme.

BN.
                Bluesnik ~ Any idea of the title/session date/personnel of the Yusef SAVOY track which has "the Love Supreme riff"?
                Would be fascinating to hear it on JRR sometime.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Will go back thro my Yusef tapes, I think its from an album with Curtis Fuller and Hugh Lawson...everytime I hear it I think, so thats where Trane got it from!

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

An album long over-due for reissue by the underrated tenorist Billy Harper:

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Pianist Stanley Cowell's memorable composition 'Equipoise' deserves to be more widely known.
                      There's also a wonderful version on the 1986 album 'Great Friends'(EVIDENCE ECD 22225-2) with Billy Harper, Sonny Fortune, Reggie Workman & Billy Hart.

Equipoise revisited. Can't get enough of this. From Close to you alone (1990)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

A thrilling version of 'So What' from Bill Evans' 1969 album 'What's New' with passionate flute playing from Jeremy Steig.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

I seem to remember an interview with JS who said they were all, er..."smoking"etc...when they made that album.

How high the moon...

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

.... i do remember an awful lot of smoking at this and then there would be the band too

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

"Jeremy was really out of it on that date...we were up to 26 takes on some of the tracks...Bill was really pissed off with him!"

Marty Morrel.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

On the subject of hat-wearing musicians, I've been playing the exceptional album "Booker's Guitar" by stetson- wearing Eric Bibb. This is an amazingly good disc and proof (if it is needed) that the country blues have a role in the 21st Century. The guiatr playing is exceptional and Bibb throws in some nice harmonic twists which seem to demonstrate that he is savvy with jazz too. (His uncle was the MJQ pianist John Lewis.)

Bluesnik shares my enthusiasm for the blues and I would recommend this record unreservedly. I think it is a difficult job to write compelling material which isn't hackneyed in 2012 yet Bibb is capable of offering accounts of veteran blues musicians, reading books and religion as well as the traditonal fare regarding the floods of 1926/7. Bibb's playing reminds a lot of Mississippi John Hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X