• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Album For Today

celebrating albums, their music and their COVERS! a starter for today:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

happy daze etc....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

INDEED Chas!

in the late fifties early sixties i was an avid reader of downbeat, where i came across his work first so that i knew who it was, had seen some albums etc ..

great artist, his pieces really express something essential about the artist and their music ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

bird songs today

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

...this track is a masterpiece, never mind that i swoon, man, swoon .....

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Hey I nicked your idea over on the World Music boards - I knew you wouldn't mind, esp. as mine is a Tony Allen LP. Is it jass? or funk? or world? who cares...

Cool jass funk hipster album for the day

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Found this one in the cupbaord earlier this week and now got around to playing it. At one stage I was a massive Stanko fan and this one is quite under stated, featuring the leader's trumpet under-pinned by a young, Polish trio. I still quite like it but it is amazing just how much use this band make of space and generally not playing a great deal. Not quite as good as "Matka Joannha" although enjoyable enough.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Tomasz Stanko Quartet - "Suspended Variation II" from album "Suspended Night" (2004)---------------------Jazz trumpeter Tomasz Stanko began his tenure as a m...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

funky stuff today ...

Grant rivals Thelonious in the shades department ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

...shucks let's have another Grant Green

...if Bluesnik were here he'd complain!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

I like Stanko....[eurorules]
                  bong ching

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Been playing this record which I haven't given a spin to for years:-

I think this has some great writing on but intrigued by the freely improvised pieces that make up a proportion of the second disc. This record hasn't dated in the twenty years since it was recorded.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Struggling with posting pictures. (Kenny Wheeler's "Music for large & small ensembles")

Listening to this whilst working at home due to the snow:-

<://www.billfrisell.com/artists/Frisell/store_link.html>

It is a kind of repost to the Nu-Jazz craze of the easrly 2000's with Frisell employing a range of samples to create a idiosyncratic background over which to improvise. Some of Bill's most uncompromising soloing on this record having turned his amp down on many of the records which preceded this. I believ that it was awarded a Grammy although not quite in the same league as "Quartet" - the finest record made under his own name.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

this one Ian?

A documentary of Kenny Wheeler on BBC Omnibus. The first part includes footages of his big band playing "Gnu Suite" and "Hotel le Hot" at BBC Maida Vale Stud...

not the actual album but close enough for ......

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Calum

Thats the CD.

Wierd listening to it now to think just how orthodox and within the Mainstream this record now seems. Even Evan Parker seems to melt into the approachable writing.

Now spinning Medeski, Martin and Wood's "Radiolarian" Volume III. I also have II which is also very good but never got around to picking up the initial CD. Having acquired a number of their records, I would have to say that the two discs I have in this series is far, far superior to the work they put out on Blue Note which didn't really give an idea of how good they are live. John Medeski is an amazing soloist and able to mix Jimmy Smith-like funkiness with very way out playing on a mutlitude of keyboards. The range of material is also quite telling with covers of tunes by African musicians as well as the Rev Gary Davis' "Baby let me follow you down."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

it has to be

Comment

Working...
                            X