• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

A Good Finnish after the Clocks are Sagely Rocked

Sat 30 March
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

At Sage Gateshead, Alyn Shipton explore the idea of emotion in jazz, with a live performance by self-styled "northern songbird" Jo Harrop and pianist and composer Paul Edis, associate artist at Sage Gateshead.

5pm - J to Z
    Jumoké Fashola presents from the Free Thinking festival, with live music from the Graeme Wilson Quartet. Plus saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings on music that has shaped his career.

Jumoke Fashola presents a special show live from Gateshead at the Free Thinking Festival.

12midnight GMT - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Songs about time, from Tony Bennett and Billie Holiday to Woody Herman and Miles Davis.

Note that this is a repeat

Geoffrey Smith presents a sequence of songs about time from Billie Holiday to Miles Davis.

Gooseberry Fools Day
    11pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert from the 2018 Pori Jazz Festival by Finnish pianist Iro Haarlas* and her quartet. He also talks to saxophonist Branford Marsalis about his new album The Secret between the Shadow and the Soul, and Al Ryan talks to pianist Alexander Hawkins about his new solo record.

*Iro Haarla on the website page. Juhano Aaltoni is the saxophonist on her set, so this is one to note down.

Soweto Kinch with Finnish pianist Iro Haarla in concert.

The details for Jamie Cullum (Radio 2, Tues April 2, 9pm) are the same as last week's. ???

Radio 4
    Weds 3 April
    9am - Black Music in Europe: a Hidden History
    Part 2 of 3 - 1939-45

Clarke Peters looks at black music in Europe during the Second World War with recordings of Nazi propaganda jazz, underground bands in Hitler's Germany, black American trumpet stars in occupied Paris, and Caribbean swing bands playing through the Blitz in London. He also examines the work of Nigerian composer Fela Sowande.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 28-03-19, 18:06.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 30 March
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

At Sage Gateshead, Alyn Shipton explore the idea of emotion in jazz, with a live performance by self-styled "northern songbird" Jo Harrop and pianist and composer Paul Edis, associate artist at Sage Gateshead.

5pm - J to Z
    Jumoké Fashola presents from the Free Thinking festival, with live music from the Graeme Wilson Quartet. Plus saxophonist Shabaka Hutchings on music that has shaped his career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003sd8

These events are usually good value, if you can get a ticket to those that are ticketed (they disappear very quickly). I will miss this year's live event as I will be attending to duties in the Big Smoke brought on by recently acquired grandparental status. Look forward to catching up on iPlayer radio.

OG

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

Sorry to miss you this year OG. Hoping to catch up with many friends at Sage, and we'll raise a glass to you.

Comment

• Rcartes
        • Feb 2011

I hate to criticise Alyn Shipton, who does such a fine job for jazz and for the BBC, but this last edition of JRR was a huge let down. So many vocals (by my count 6 out of the 8 tracks played), and although one of them was by the magnificent Bessie Smith (though not one of her best): the tedious warbling of Louise Victoria on Transition established, I hope, some type of nadir.

But worst of all was the track featuring one Jeff Beck, a musician (as I suppose we have to call him) who I hope I shall never have to suffer hearing again. And what was this rock shite doing on a jazz programme anyway? Grrrrr!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
          I hate to criticise Alyn Shipton, who does such a fine job for jazz and for the BBC, but this last edition of JRR was a huge let down. So many vocals (by my count 6 out of the 8 tracks played), and although one of them was by the magnificent Bessie Smith (though not one of her best): the tedious warbling of Louise Victoria on Transition established, I hope, some type of nadir.

But worst of all was the track featuring one Jeff Beck, a musician (as I suppose we have to call him) who I hope I shall never have to suffer hearing again. And what was this rock shite doing on a jazz programme anyway? Grrrrr!
          Not Alyn's fault? That's "democracy"? Very Brexit! But it was awful, that track by the Bristol band with the "emotive" singer, more Wetherspoons than jazz, and the "Peddlers", then as now, as "hip" as Lulu, and whose bass player should have been quietly drowned or sent home with a note.

But the Nancy Wilson/Gerald Wilson track was recompense.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Am I the only one among us who has been noting an increase in the number of requested tracks on JRR which would fall into a Light Music of Pre-Rock 'n' Roll Vintage category? The excuse that has sometimes been given on here is that, with the near-demise of the majority of The Light Programme's successor Radio 2's demographic for reasons of death, such tracks have nowhere else to belong in BBC radio broadcasting, so out of kindness to that otherwise betrayed sector of the population old enough to remember when Britain Was Great we'll take them in.

Up until now I haven't really minded as there was always so much other good stuff being requested, but now, with the shrinkage yet again in jazz programming.............

Comment

• CGR
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post

Yep. And yet more dumbing-down to come by all accounts.

Remember that the BBC's Director of Radio is one James Purnell, an ex-New Labour minister and trendy metropolitan establishment type. If I may use an educational metaphor, if the old Third Programme was the Oxbridge of radio, then the original Radio 3 was the Grammar School, now we are getting down to the bog-standard Comp. level of broadcasting.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Am I the only one among us who has been noting an increase in the number of requested tracks on JRR which would fall into a Light Music of Pre-Rock 'n' Roll Vintage category? The excuse that has sometimes been given on here is that, with the near-demise of the majority of The Light Programme's successor Radio 2's demographic for reasons of death, such tracks have nowhere else to belong in BBC radio broadcasting, so out of kindness to that otherwise betrayed sector of the population old enough to remember when Britain Was Great we'll take them in.

Up until now I haven't really minded as there was always so much other good stuff being requested, but now, with the shrinkage yet again in jazz programming.............
                These live editions of JRR always tend to be a bit populist with dubious choices.
                Hopefully, things will return to normal next week. JRR really needs to maintain a strong jazz content in view of the soon-to-be-axed 'Jazz Now' & 'GSJ'

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Yep, in fairness it's the nature of the beast. The requests largely arose from the attendees, not the usual hard core jazz aficionados who request take 113 of Wade Legge playing Stardust. The previous couple of JRRs have been excellent by the way.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                    • Nov 2010

How about everyone who criticises the show sends in requests (in addition to BN who is a regular and really helpful requester). Have I ever seen a request from S-A in seven years on the show? Answer NO. So jolly well get on and send in requests. And regarding We Are Leif, the request came from members of the Kenilworth Jazz Club who'd heard the band and recommended it to their U3A jazz appreciation group. Not exactly as if we are courting the young vote...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                      How about everyone who criticises the show sends in requests (in addition to BN who is a regular and really helpful requester). Have I ever seen a request from S-A in seven years on the show? Answer NO. So jolly well get on and send in requests. And regarding We Are Leif, the request came from members of the Kenilworth Jazz Club who'd heard the band and recommended it to their U3A jazz appreciation group. Not exactly as if we are courting the young vote...
                      Thanks for the encouragement!

You generously provide us with your Blogspot, much appreciated; I reproduce it on here. Thank you. Nuff said.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Well, 4 p.m. JRR is a must-hear for me, and I know very little about jazz: presentation is unfussily less-is-far-more, huge and always eye-opening range of music, but I have to say the rock/jazz stuff is not my thing at all, and for the first time since Noah I turned it off. Sorry, but................

Comment

Working...
                        X