• Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Albert Ayler interview

JR
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for that! Strange how you think you sense how people will sound and then they're totally different. Albert sounds very up and amenable. I expected him to be distant and brooding. Btw the Aretha Franklin gig at the Antibes Festival he didn't play ("commercial") was glorious. That's on YouTube also.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Thanks for that! Strange how you think you sense how people will sound and then they're totally different. Albert sounds very up and amenable. I expected him to be distant and brooding. Btw the Aretha Franklin gig at the Antibes Festival he didn't play ("commercial") was glorious. That's on YouTube also.
      Yes, Ayler's gentle voice seems to be in complete contrast to his turbulent music.
      I wish I could find some concert footage of Ayler. There are brief excerpts on Kasper Collins' film 'My Name Is Albert Ayler' but it would be nice to see a complete performance. Surely someone, somewhere has film of Ayler in action?
      Now, if the BBC hadn't wiped those tapes of the 1966 LSE, 'Jazz Goes To College' gig...

Here's some early Albert Ayler in Stockholm on October 25, 1962 deconstructing 'I'll Remember April':

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Yes, Ayler's gentle voice seems to be in complete contrast to his turbulent music.
        I wish I could find some concert footage of Ayler. There are brief excerpts on Kasper Collins' film 'My Name Is Albert Ayler' but it would be nice to see a complete performance. Surely someone, somewhere has film of Ayler in action?
        Now, if the BBC hadn't wiped those tapes of the 1966 LSE, 'Jazz Goes To College' gig...
        If that was today, somebody would have been at Coltrane's funeral, and would have captured Ayler's tribute and circulated it on YouTube!

Here's some early Albert Ayler in Stockholm on October 25, 1962 deconstructing 'I'll Remember April':

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

JR
        I picked up the LP from which that track is taken, second-hand - I think I paid 10/- for it! By that time I'd heard most of the later recorded Ayler, and read Litweiler's "The Freedom Principle". Nevertheless, I was truly shocked while listening to it: in some ways it's rawer than what came subsequently - there's a sense of something struggling to come into being on those tracks - and I often wonder about those young Swedish guys, given that they made a remarkably good fist of it!

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

There was conert in Denmark or somewhere on youtube where he played Rollins tunes but it was removed

PS at a "proper" concert hall

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

The saxophone great, whose music exploded with free energy and nakedly emotional spirituality, had a tangled relationship with his adopted hometown.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Beautiful article, from which much to be learned about Ayler - thanks JR.

Comment

Working...
              X