X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Sat 3 Nov: Expresso Bongo on Talking Picturers TV

Yes, tonight, at 8.45, Daddy-O: a showing of the iconic 1959 musical starring eternal greaseball Laurence Harvey. Ooh, just the thought sends me! Tune to Channel 81, your favourite nostalgia movie site.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... ooh, tempting.

But - it clashes with a new series of Beck, BBC4 (button 9) at 9pm.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Yes, tonight, at 8.45, Daddy-O: a showing of the iconic 1959 musical starring eternal greaseball Laurence Harvey. Ooh, just the thought sends me! Tune to Channel 81, your favourite nostalgia movie site.
      "Bongo Herbert" Richard, amongst the Soho strippers. Considered very racy when it first came out. You're right about Harvey, one of the most disliked characters in the business. In a crowded world.

Interesting how Cliff used this as a "vehicle" and in indeed Adam Faith in "Beat Girl", neither THAT family friendly. Best bit in Beat Girl (apart from more stripping) is our Adam picking up a tacky acoustic guitar in a beat cellar and the sound of a "combo" cutting in behind him. I bumped into Adam Faith once in Harrod's at Christmas. He was wearing a Biggles leather flying jacket...and was quite short. BEAT FACT.

BN.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

I accidentally caught about 20 seconds when checking on upcoming Talking Pictures offerings - talk about cringeworthy! I must say Sir Cliff is a lot more handsome these days.
        (TP is on Channel 81 only on Freeview, by the way. It's channel 306 on Freesat, other providers are available).

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

So this was what the 80s film of Absolute Beginners was channeling. Hilarious on all fronts. Talking Pictures is a must see channel imho.

Comment

• CGR
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
            Talking Pictures is a must see channel imho.
            Yep. Once or twice a week I run through the Talking Pictures listing on Sky and choose a couple to record. Some real classics from the 30's, 40's & 50's. Those wonderful old middle-class English accents!!!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by CGR View Post
              Yep. Once or twice a week I run through the Talking Pictures listing on Sky and choose a couple to record. Some real classics from the 30's, 40's & 50's. Those wonderful old middle-class English accents!!!
              Does anyone here know whether they have ever shown the uncut version of Will Hay's The Goose Steps Out (i.e. with the "Slough" pronunciation scene, etc.)?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Mr Richard trying to speak Cockney was a real Cliff hanger. The rest of the film just a coat hanger. As LMcD says, cringeworthy; but at least a salutary reminder that the 1950s and 60s also produced utter dross - as I discovered last month after receiving my CD of "Les Bicyclettes de Belsize", a real mistake based on online reviews. Nice views of Hampstead village and surrounding district, however, and lots of fetching clothes, as were worn in trendy 1969. Best watched with the sound off!

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

OK - but compared to the Admirable Crichton (broadcast recently), I know which one I would rather view.

There was also Burlesque/ Christina Aguilevera on another channel. Is this a sign of a change in programming? I'm sick to death of horror / thriller / fantasy movies, where the young heroine is first scared out of her wits, then cruelly beaten, and finally horrifically murdered - practically every other movie on Freeview.

Comment

Working...
                  X