X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
    My first exposure to Aretha was in the late 60's when I was going through a difficult period at Birmingham University. At the time I was heavily into Jazz, but "Say a Little Prayer" would raise my spirits sky high. God bless, Aretha.

But it never occurred to me to perform an analytical dissection as to which category I would put her music. She was part of the great Afro-American contribution to music, which for me put most of the British contribution of that period into the shade - and still does.
    Wot?? Even Acker Bilk???

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Same around here this year, Bbm. At this rate we'll end up as the oldest duffers in town!
      We just plod along, SA!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

My first exposure to Aretha was in the late 60's when I was going through a difficult period at Birmingham University. At the time I was heavily into Jazz, but "Say a Little Prayer" would raise my spirits sky high. God bless, Aretha.

But it never occurred to me to perform an analytical dissection as to which category I would put her music. She was part of the great Afro-American contribution to music, which for me put most of the British contribution of that period into the shade - and still does.
        A broad sweeping statement, Vespare. Do you mean the British contribution to music generally, or its contribution to Afro-American music?

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          A broad sweeping statement, Vespare. Do you mean the British contribution to music generally, or its contribution to Afro-American music?
          Bearing in mind this thread is on the Jazz board, and considering my mindset as a teenager, enjoying Jazz, Blues, Soul, Rock and Pop (to an extent), I have always considered the Afro-American contribution in these genres as vastly superior to British musicians working in these same genres in the late 60's - to name a few Georgie Fame, Rolling Stones, Dankworth, Lyttleton, Beatles, etc.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Bearing in mind this thread is on the Jazz board, and considering my mindset as a teenager, enjoying Jazz, Blues, Soul, Rock and Pop (to an extent), I have always considered the Afro-American contribution in these genres as vastly superior to British musicians working in these same genres in the late 60's - to name a few Georgie Fame, Rolling Stones, Dankworth, Lyttleton, Beatles, etc.
            Among the ones you haven't mentioned are a few whom Miles would I'm certain have loved to have got his mitts on.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Among the ones you haven't mentioned are a few whom Miles would I'm certain have loved to have got his mitts on.
              The late sixties was a mine of activity for many musicians, and Soul was very much American-based, but much of the most inventive jazz/blues/prog/folk-rock was being done by British musicians. The mid to late sixties was possibly one of the most innovative periods of the C20th. I didn’t realise that this was on the Jazz board, it is a dedication to Aretha who was far more than just a Soul singer, he talents as a musician crossed genres! I have just listened to her ‘Lady Soul’ album - her voice range is phenominal and could have give master (sorry non pc - what ever the term should be) classes to the many pop singers who insist on painfully straining their voices in the upper registers. She could have been an opera singer though I’m unsure about the validity of some of her improvisation in ‘Nessun dorma’, when depping for Pavarotti!
              Last edited by cloughie; 18-08-18, 11:46.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Late 60s Aretha in concert...looks like it was a total gas!
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                  • Dec 2010

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
                  X