• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

A Nero on hand, just in time.

Sat 4 Aug
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton's weekly dip into listeners' letters and emails requesting favourite jazz tracks from all periods and styles includes music by two contasting pianists. Peter Nero, now 84, has worked with, among others, Frank Sinatra, Mel Tormé, Andy Williams and Ray Charles. And Jessica Williams, now 70, has been a member of bands led by Philly Joe Jones, Stan Getz, Eddie Harris, Tony Williams, Charlie Rouse, Charlie Haden and, among others, Bobby Hutcherson.

5pm - J to Z
    Kevin Le Gendre celebrates the cream of old and new jazz, featuring an exclusive session by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, a New Orleans septet founded in the early 1960s.

The best in jazz - past, present and future. Preservation Hall Jazz Band in session.

12midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    From 1947 until his death in 1971, Louis Armstrong toured the world with his All-Stars, enchanting audiences with his classic tunes, great playing and joie de vivre. Geoffrey Smith introduces All-Stars classics including Muskrat Ramble (1926) and The Saints Go Marching In (1938).

!938? Really???

Radio 2
    Sun 5 Aug
    9pm - Clare Teal

Big band and swing music with the English jazz singer, featuring a playlist of both contemporary and BBC archive recordings, including old and new session performances by the BBC Big Band.

Thought this might interest a few of us.

Mon 6 Aug
    11.45 Jazz Now

This substitites a tribute repeat of the Tomasz Stanko 2017 London EFJ Jazz Festival performance broadcast for the Marc Decret Metatonal Berlin gig advertised in Radio Times..

Soweto Kinch presents Tomasz Stanko and his quartet in concert in London.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Think you've got last week's JRR trail up there SA, Peter Nero was last week. In fact, if truth be know, he's always been "last week" (in my critical hall of lame). But the link is right and leads to Herbie, Ben, Basie, Clifford, Duke etc.

But not Jerry Lee Lewis who NEVER gets played

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Think you've got last week's JRR trail up there SA, Peter Nero was last week. In fact, if truth be know, he's always been "last week" (in my critical hall of lame). But the link is right and leads to Herbie, Ben, Basie, Clifford, Duke etc.

But not Jerry Lee Lewis who NEVER gets played

BN.
      Huh! I've tried to continue Calum's initiative of drawing together forthcoming broadcasts as based on what is publicised in Radio Times. They're making right c*ck-ups of the programmings at the moment - this has been mentioned elsewhere here. Seems mebbe as good a time to stop as any, now.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Start delayed - presumably the Soldier took his time telling his Tale.....?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Huh! I've tried to continue Calum's initiative of drawing together forthcoming broadcasts as based on what is publicised in Radio Times. They're making right c*ck-ups of the programmings at the moment - this has been mentioned elsewhere here. Seems mebbe as good a time to stop as any, now.
          Your lists and alerts are much appreciated, but it must be a bit of chore every week. I'd volunteer but I'm bone idle and I'm finishing off a half size scale model of a Junkers 88 in full Ukip camouflage and markings. It's the plane "wor got owr countrees back"

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

This week's JRR listing (11 Aug) on my website now, and the contents are reflected in the Radio Times billing...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
              This week's JRR listing (11 Aug) on my website now, and the contents are reflected in the Radio Times billing...
              That's a relief! - thanks Alyn.

Comment

Working...
              X