X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constantbee
    • Jul 2017

Jazz Leeds 2018

Glad it's back. Good to see Soweto headlining at The Wardrobe on Friday (July 20th) supported by TĂȘtes de Pois

Written and performed by Têtes de PoisRecorded and produced by Ryan PhillipsArtwork by Chris MooreAnimation by Oscar Barany

Sorry I won't be there, but might try and make it to the Busk Stops.
    And the tune ends too soon for us all
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
    http://www.jazzleeds.org.uk/festival2018/

Glad it's back. Good to see Soweto headlining at The Wardrobe on Friday (July 20th) supported by TĂȘtes de Pois

Written and performed by Têtes de PoisRecorded and produced by Ryan PhillipsArtwork by Chris MooreAnimation by Oscar Barany

Sorry I won't be there, but might try and make it to the Busk Stops.
    Thanks for the heads up on this, Constantbee. Great to see they're commemorating Xero Slingsby, a great post-Ornette styled altoist taken from us before he'd developed his full potential.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

A bit of an odd website though
      This features Oren Marshall (well that's him in the photo)

But not in the text ?

Shatners Bassoon are worth a listen

Featuring renowned improviser/composer Matthew Bourne and the fiery improvising quintet Shatner’s Bassoon

As is the ever wonderful Dave Kane

The ‘New Stream’ element of Leeds Jazz Festival is a programme which features highly respected improvisers and composers from Leeds/West Yorkshire

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        A bit of an odd website though
        This features Oren Marshall (well that's him in the photo)

But not in the text ?

Shatners Bassoon are worth a listen

Featuring renowned improviser/composer Matthew Bourne and the fiery improvising quintet Shatner’s Bassoon

As is the ever wonderful Dave Kane

http://www.jazzleeds.org.uk/sunday-a...on-new-stream/
        This looks a lot more interesting than the Vienne festival, always much touted by Ian, I have to say. Along with bringing back the Kane, there's some Bourne again stuff on the agenda, which in genuine misguided modesty its maker always claims not always to work out as intended. The notes in the programme should have been checked for such things as the Oren Marshall omission: to speak of missing haystacks in the eyes of needles, to mix metaphors, how about the dreadful one citing "passive-aggressive minimalism", worthy of nomination for Pseud's Corner!

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          This looks a lot more interesting than the Vienne festival, always much touted by Ian, I have to say. Along with bringing back the Kane, there's some Bourne again stuff on the agenda, which in genuine misguided modesty its maker always claims not always to work out as intended. The notes in the programme should have been checked for such things as the Oren Marshall omission: to speak of missing haystacks in the eyes of needles, to mix metaphors, how about the dreadful one citing "passive-aggressive minimalism", worthy of nomination for Pseud's Corner!

I was thinking about sending Oren a message to see if he is playing ?
          Always worth going to hear IMV

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Wondered if you read the review about the Montreal Jazz Festival on "All about Jazz?" There was quite an interesting comment about the audience for the music being split along two lines with sets geared around a more adventurous audience and the alternative featuring more groove-orientated bands. What was interesting was the remark that there was little crossover between the two audiences with one set unlikely to attract listeners from the others.

What I didn't realise was that Vienne actually featured some 230 sets. Obviously it was not possible to get around more than a fraction of these in my fortnight but it is curious to see that the kind of stuff offered by Leeds . For what it is worth, it is quite interesting to compare the two line ups. I didn't think that they were too dissimilar. I see that Leeds also has a number of big bands performing but is seems more concentrated and with less fringe stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X