X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    I wouldn't say rave music has had too much of a negative effect on all music. In my experience (4 years on the rave scene in Birmingham) none of the DJs did it professionally. It was all just about the party.

And some of the music is pretty good. Much of it is not. Generally if you've had a lot of MDMA you can't tell the difference! It's all about the drugs really, and the people. But I can enjoy a good techno mix (as I currently am).

I used to play jazz guitar and there was a time that I had thoughts of jamming over a techno mix and videoing it. Sadly my plectrum-technique never became good enough and these days I play finger-style classical guitar (which, actually, I played prior to switching to jazz in my early 20s).

So much of jazz is about real-time operated music - improvisation and performance. It is difficult to see how EDM - which is essentially frozen - could be integrated with it. I've been to a rave where someone played a bass guitar along with the mix, another one with someone playing bongos along... I guess you could say rave music has a kind of punk aesthetic, or at least certain kinds of rave music.
    For the sort of thing you might be talking about, here's the great Derek Bailey, doing his atonal free guitar improv thang with a fellow from Hackney called DJ Ninj:

and Squarepusher:

From 'Do You Know Squarepusher', Warp Records (WARP97, 2002) https://bleep.com/release/3202 - http://itun.es/i6jW7zn - http://www.amazon.com/Do-You-Know-Squa...

There was quite a lot of this interesting stuff about inthe mid-90s.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Had to turn the Derek Bailey stuff off, Instant headache!

Much prefer Phil Bailey, I am afraid

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        Had to turn the Derek Bailey stuff off, Instant headache!

Much prefer Phil Bailey, I am afraid
        I guess you like Pearl Bailey as well. A jazz musician friend of mine recently had a baby by his girlfriend, and they decided to call her Pearl. "What a nice idea, naming her after the great Duke Ellington singer", I told them. "Oh, we weren't thinking of that at all" was his reply.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Never heard Pearl Bailey sing but don't think se was with Ellington. All in know about her was that she was married to arranger Don Redman.

I was thinking of the blokes from Earth, Wind and Fire!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            Never heard Pearl Bailey sing but don't think se was with Ellington. All in know about her was that she was married to arranger Don Redman.

I was thinking of the blokes from Earth, Wind and Fire!!

She was with Duke but not as much as I thought. Didn't know she'd married Louie Bellson.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Pearl Bailey was married to Louie Bellson, a very long marriage. I remember some stuff in "Bird Lives" where Charlie Parker, just before he died, was lined up to tour with her, Louie Bellson, and with Ron Carter on bass. I don't know how young Carter would have been then which probably makes the story apocryphal.

SA beat me to the punch....!

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                For the sort of thing you might be talking about, here's the great Derek Bailey, doing his atonal free guitar improv thang with a fellow from Hackney called DJ Ninj:

and Squarepusher:

From 'Do You Know Squarepusher', Warp Records (WARP97, 2002) https://bleep.com/release/3202 - http://itun.es/i6jW7zn - http://www.amazon.com/Do-You-Know-Squa...

There was quite a lot of this interesting stuff about inthe mid-90s.
                Thanks!

Will listen a bit later...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  Pearl Bailey was married to Louie Bellson, a very long marriage. I remember some stuff in "Bird Lives" where Charlie Parker, just before he died, was lined up to tour with her, Louie Bellson, and with Ron Carter on bass. I don't know how young Carter would have been then which probably makes the story apocryphal.

SA beat me to the punch....!
                  Ron Carter was born on 4 May 1937. First professional engagement was with Chico Hamilton 1959, according to Carr, Fairweather & Priestley, so looks as though that tale was wagging the donkey.
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 03-06-18, 23:05. Reason: Choco name change to Chico!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                    • Nov 2010

Louie and Pearl came to London in Nov 1952 to marry as they felt an interracial marriage would attract less negative press here than in the USA. Cab Calloway and the London cast of Porgy and Bess were at the reception many years before Cab starred with Pearl in the all black Hello Dolly. Details in my Calloway biography...

Comment

Working...
                    X