• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Fish Sautered, not fried, and a Laura biding half a Lage

Sat 28 April
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton presents a range of music including up-and-coming UK band Glowrogues, as well as the classic sounds of Count Basie.

5pm - J to Z
    The best of jazz past, present and future, including interviews and demos from musicians. This week Jumoké Fashiola presents a session from Dinosaur. Led by former BBC New Generation Artist Laura Jurd on trumpet, the four-piece band play new, synth-driven music ahead of the release of their latest album Wonder Trail.

I'm willing to bet Ian can't wait to get his ears into this!

Midnite - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    The brilliant, slightly quirky compositions of Eddie Sauter (1914-81) brought him fame with Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw and his own madcap Sauter-Finegan Orchestra, culminating in his classic Focus suite for saxophonist Stan Getz. Geoffrey Smith salutes his talent.

Anyone heard Sauter's Amoeba Suite, complete with imagined microscopic-level pre-dialogue ("... and so they split") and whistling front line chorus? (This is from memory, way back, btw, so forgive me, I may have got this wrong.)

Mon 30 April
    11pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents US guitarist Julian Lage and his trio in concert at the 2017 Pori Jazz Festival in Finland. The other members of the band are Chris Lightcap on bass and Eric Doob on drums.

Soweto Kinch presents US guitarist Julian Lage in concert.

Also next Thursday 3 May's Radio 3 in Concert at 7.30pm on R3 features Iain Ballamy sax with Julian Joseph's Trio (Mark Hodgson, bass, Mark Mondesir drums) plus the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor Clark Rundell, in works by Duke Ellington, Gary Carpenter, Gershwin (yes you've guess which one) and Mr Joseph hisself.

And on Friday 4 May on BBC4 TV at 9pm: The Jazz Ambassadors.

This looks illuminating, and it appears not to be the repeat I thought it might be:

In 1956, African-American congressmen Adam Clayton Powell Jr and trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie announced a new weapon to combat the Soviet Union - iconic jazz musicians and their racially integrated bands would cross the globe to counter propaganda about racism in America. Over the next decade, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Dave Brubeck toured the world in service of US Cold War interests. However, unfolding civil rights unrest back home forced them into a moral bind. This documentary recounts the story of how the US State Department unwittingly gave the civil rights movement a voice on the world stage when it needed one most.

I could make a Korea out of doing this!
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"The State Department then asked Dizzy to return to Washington to be briefed before embarking in his cultural mission but he refused: “I’ve got three hundred years of briefing. I know what they’ve done to us, and I’m not going to make any excuses. If they ask me any questions, I’m gonna answer them as honestly as I can.” Gillespie insisted that he “wasn’t going over to apologize for the racist policies of America,” but he “was very honored to have been chosen as the first jazz musician to represent United States on a cultural mission.” Besides, “I liked the idea of a big band that wouldn’t cost me any money” (Gillespie with Fraser 413-416). "

Good for Dizzy.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

And the final item on this Friday concert also worth noting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b020lt

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I could make a Korea out of doing this!
        Would that be Norf or Sarf then (or perhaps demilitarised)...

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          And the final item on this Friday concert also worth noting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b020lt
          Ah thanks Alyn - I overlooked that one!

Comment

Working...
          X