X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Buell Neidlinger ~ RIP

"The bassist, cellist and educator Buell Neidlinger died on March 16 aged 82.
    Neidlinger who performed with Cecil Taylor in the 1950s and 60s was a versatile musician equally at home playing jazz, pop, Dixieland or avant garde music.
    Neidlinger appears on the albums Taylor recorded between 1956-61 including Jazz Advance, Looking Ahead!, Love For Sale & The World Of Cecil Taylor".

From The Wire(May 2018)

JR
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

And Stravinsky, and the Carpenters!

"In particular, Neidlinger bemoans the (Ken Burns Jazz) documentary’s disparaging treatment of Taylor. “He was the only person put down in the whole program. Did you notice that? One morning, I woke up furious and put my brain to work. I got on the Internet and found out Ken Burns’ production company name, address and phone number. I called up, and I got right through. There I was, talking to Ken. He didn’t know me. But I said he owed me two checks. I wanted a Screen Actors Guild [check] for the on-screen appearance with Coltrane and Elvin Jones, and the other one a Musician’s Union check for underscoring his ‘nignorance,'” Neidlinger laughs. “Well, that was pretty much the end of the conversation. There was a disclaimer: ‘Call my lawyer.'”

He was a guy with "opinions".

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

What turned out to be Buell Neidlinger’s final contribution to this blog arrived on March 9, in response to a piece about Keith Jarrett’s latest release. Buell had seen the accompanying…

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

For those wanting to catch up on Cecil Taylor's huge and varied output, WKCR (Columbia Univ Radio) is at present broadcasting one of their marathon tributes - 24 hours or more of CT. At present Bill Dixon is making a noise like a seal on his instrument. And I fully respect his right to do so.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          For those wanting to catch up on Cecil Taylor's huge and varied output, WKCR (Columbia Univ Radio) is at present broadcasting one of their marathon tributes - 24 hours or more of CT. At present Bill Dixon is making a noise like a seal on his instrument. And I fully respect his right to do so.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fc67yQsPqQ

Well we're still here, although that was recorded in 1990.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Actually, although it is not my "'ting", Cecil's much later more abstract music is quite engaging at times. Just pointless trying to evaluate it by the same terms as say, Lucky Thompson. Other than all music should engage and communicate. And entertain at times. Keep 'em smiling in the economy seats..."Oi Cecil, can you and the lads play "Great Balls of Fire"?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Actually, although it is not my "'ting", Cecil's much later more abstract music is quite engaging at times. Just pointless trying to evaluate it by the same terms as say, Lucky Thompson. Other than all music should engage and communicate. And entertain at times. Keep 'em smiling in the economy seats..."Oi Cecil, can you and the lads play "Great Balls of Fire"?
              Michael Garrick once told a story about a time when he was playing in a pub in the docks area of the East End. They would take requests, and one night a well built man came over and said "Play 'My way'". Garrick nodded and started playing an elaborate intro. After a few minutes of this the same bloke went over, swung Michael around on the piano stool facing him, grabbed him by the lapels and, lifting him up in the air, with his face right up against Mike's, shouted, "I SAID, PLAY MY WAY!!!" Just picture Mike's diminutive figure being lifted off the stool!!!!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Good stuff! What was that Ronnie Scott response to requests at "slipper dances"..."Oi, can you play Stardust?". "We just did Sir, that last number".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Good stuff! What was that Ronnie Scott response to requests at "slipper dances"..."Oi, can you play Stardust?". "We just did Sir, that last number".
                  Ronnie Scott announcement: "We only do requests when people ask for them"

Comment

Working...
                  X