Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hackneyvi
    • Jun 2024

Decoy @ Cafe Oto (Alexander Hawkins / Steve Noble / John Edwards) 22nd June 11

My second night at Cafe Oto after Saturday's programme of nature music from Axel Dorner.

It occured to my while there that, "Cafe Oto - It's good as BOOKS!"

The Decoy trio were refined and thunderous. The bassist snapped and tapped and sawed and scraped and scratched and swung his wilderness way through Saturday night's do to. The percussionist rapped and rattled and hatted and clapped and clipped and battered his raw and rowing estuary sky and shore. The organist slid and strode and shuffled and shuttled and mumbled and reared his rivers and roads of notes.

Was the organist's music most lost in the vows of life declaimed by the drum and the bass? I would love to have heard them alternate/combinate pairs and solos; not only a trio but a trio of duos and solos; 7 acts in all.

Their encore was a firecracker of clocks and hurled-gelignite chases.

A world's worth to the venue!, players!, listeners!, staff!, beer! and candles! Candles! and endless music! that "will never me done"; not finished or started in the fullest living of a lifetime! because embodied hours! are not enough.

For those who don't know it, I'd recommend:

Cafe Oto - It's good as BOOKS
    Last edited by Guest; 23-06-11, 11:12.
  • hackneyvi

I appreciate that this sort of post is a bit of a dead end for the boards but please excuse me. I'm trying to find a way of communicating what I feel without any means to analyse the sounds themselves.

Pace, profusion and variety weren't the only qualities to it. It was also graceful and responsive ... before bounding off again!!

For something that still feels as if it ought to seem like a long night on a hard seat and mysterious, the music of these two nights have been an easy listening of sorts where something that I do not understand has nevertheless been manifest; this uncomprehended thing may be spry joy.

Comment

Working...
    X