• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Geoffrey goes for a Burton

Sat 17 Mar
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton plays requested recordings from across a broad spectrum of jazz., today featuring music by American pianist Ramsey Lewis.

5pm - Jazz Line-Up
    Repeat of the Alice Coltrane feature from last year.

Kevin Le Gendre celebrates the music of harpist Alice Coltrane.

Midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A vibraphone superstar for some six decades, Indiana-born Gary Burton has combined jazz, rock, Latin and classical in starry groups featuring the likes of Chick Corea, Stan Getz, Pat Metheny and Keith Jarrett. On the eve of Burton's retirement, Geoffrey Smith surveys a great career.

I thought jazzers never retired.

Mon 19 March
    11pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch with further highlights from Austria's INNToene Jazzfestival

Kirk Lightsey is on the menu with his trio!

Soweto Kinch with music by the Don Moye - Kirk Lightsey trio, and Zhenya Strigalev.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 15-03-18, 16:08. Reason: Sorry, I meant Retired, not Returned.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

bong ching

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

If you can't wait til Midnight on Saturday, then download this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vkp5p

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Zhenya Strigalev is also featured on Monday's programme. He's keeping top company at the mo'. Here is a selection with the same bass player to be featured in an otherwise different line-up with the same band name - very confusing. Rather reminds me of some of the evergreen Trevor Watts's more jazz-rocky stuff with Colin McKenzie, that great bass guitarist everyone seems to have forgotten, and Liam Genockey the hairy Irish showband man with red beret who I've always regarded as one of the best jazz-rock drummers anywhere.

Full (nearly full) concert is here: https://youtu.be/qJdw0HFoJDkOn this video compilation, there are fragments of original tunes by Zhenya called "Some Thoma...

Mr Strigalev looks like the man selling The Big Issue outside my local St Sprees who calls himself Danny. I mean, a man who plays stuff like this wouldn't be selling the Big Issue, would he? I see he's at the Vortex fronting another outfit called "Blues for Maggie" on 29th of this month. Not "Blues for Bird" - John Bird.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          If you can't wait til Midnight on Saturday, then download this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vkp5p
          Fantastic, thanks v much, Alyn.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I can't have been listening "properly" first time, because this time I'm finding I'm really enjoying the JLU on Alice Coltrane - finding all sorts of connections; with Sun Ra, and with the Brotherhood of Breath "lineage", all those jams at the Duke of Wellington Balls Pond Road in the early '80s around Jim Dvorak and Elton Dean, Nick Evans, the Tippets Keith and Julie, & co. Louis Moholo: "It was all falling apart, man, but in a good way!"

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

From the BBC R3 Schedule overnight/ Through the Night:

"St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, Minnesota. Beethoven and Brahms
              Through the Night

John Shea presents a chamber concert from members of Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Minnesota, playing Beethoven & Brahms"

I first saw/read that as PAUL CHAMBERS! Ah, aging eyesight and false hope and false dawn...

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                From the BBC R3 Schedule overnight/ Through the Night:

"St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, Minnesota. Beethoven and Brahms
                Through the Night

John Shea presents a chamber concert from members of Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Minnesota, playing Beethoven & Brahms"

I first saw/read that as PAUL CHAMBERS! Ah, aging eyesight and false hope and false dawn...

BN.
                Nah - just bass motives!!!

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I can't have been listening "properly" first time, because this time I'm finding I'm really enjoying the JLU on Alice Coltrane - finding all sorts of connections; with Sun Ra, and with the Brotherhood of Breath "lineage", all those jams at the Duke of Wellington Balls Pond Road in the early '80s around Jim Dvorak and Elton Dean, Nick Evans, the Tippets Keith and Julie, & co. Louis Moholo: "It was all falling apart, man, but in a good way!"

For me, the most worthwhile item was 'Trane's Spiritual. If he had stopped his musical development at that point, I would have been content.

Comment

Working...
                  X