Free Thinking? it's what jazz is all about!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Free Thinking? it's what jazz is all about!

Sat 10 March
    4 pm Jazz Record Requests at Free Thinking

Broadcast live from Sage Gateshead, with Alyn Shipton joined by violinist Emma Fisk and guitarist James Birkett. They also make requests, as do New Generation thinkers, with this week's playlist including recordings by Errol Garner, Django Reinhardt and Ella Fitzgerald. Alyn also plays music to mark the 90th birthday of American saxophonist Bob Wilber, who has made his home in Britain for many years.

5 pm Jazz Line-up
    Julian Joseph presents highlights of a performance by the Euroradio Jazz Orchestra, featuring promising young European players directed by French trumpeter and arranger Airelle Besson, recorded in November. Each year the Euroadio Jazz Producers and European Broadcasting Union create a big band from musicians under the age of 30. The host broadcaster for this performance was Radio France, and the programme features emerging talent from countries including Estonia, Norway, Austria, Switzerland and the UK.

Will our people be invited after Brexit? - worth asking.

The Euroradio Jazz Orchestra featuring some of Europe's most exciting young players.

12midnight Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Jack Teagarden repeat.

Geoffrey Smith introduces classic recordings by trombonist and singer Jack Teagarden.

Mon 12 March
    11pm Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch with the first of two programmes of highlights from Austria's INNToene Jazzfestival. The first of tonight's two concerts is by vocalist Emilia Martensson with musicians Luca Boscagin, Fulvio Sigurta and Adrano Adewale. In the second, trumpeter Marius Stockhausen and pianist Florian Weber perform from their 2016 album Alba.

Tried the Umlaut function and had to start the whole thread again Hence the altered title to conform with echt practice.

Soweto Kinch with music from Emilia Martensson, Markus Stockhausen and Florian Weber.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

No umlauts post Brexit then, S-A!

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      No umlauts post Brexit then, S-A!

OG
      No OG - had my egg boiled instead of scrambled this morning.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        [B]Sat 10 March

5 pm Jazz Line-up
        Julian Joseph presents highlights of a performance by the Euroradio Jazz Orchestra, featuring promising young European players directed by French trumpeter and arranger Airelle Besson, recorded in November. Each year the Euroadio Jazz Producers and European Broadcasting Union create a big band from musicians under the age of 30. The host broadcaster for this performance was Radio France, and the programme features emerging talent from countries including Estonia, Norway, Austria, Switzerland and the UK.

The Euroradio Jazz Orchestra featuring some of Europe's most exciting young players.
        The answer should be yes - the BBC joined the EBU in 1950, long before the UK joined the EEC. The EBU is not an EU organisation.
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• CGR
          • Aug 2016

5 pm Jazz Line-up

Nothing to do with the EU.

When I were a lad I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch the the EBU's Eurovision Song Contest back in the good old 60s.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

5 pm Jazz Line-up

Mon 12 March
            11pm Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch with the first of two programmes of highlights from Austria's INNToene Jazzfestival. The first of tonight's two concerts is by vocalist Emilia Martensson with musicians Luca Boscagin, Fulvio Sigurta and Adrano Adewale. In the second, trumpeter Marius Stockhausen and pianist Florian Weber perform from their 2016 album Alba.

Tried the Umlaut function and had to start the whole thread again Hence the altered title to conform with echt practice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09v5nct
            Jazz Now- a consistently good programme.

JLU - started off well, but seemed to be drifting in the schmalz direction the last I heard. I guess JLU , being an early evening programme, has an issue with a wider cross-section of potential listeners, in particular the Opera set, assembling in their finery and evening attire for their weekly indulgence.

Swap JLU with GSJazz? That might improve JLU?

Is there, or should there be, a version of Jazz adapted for R3 listeners? Emphasizing the Classical angle, I guess.
            Last edited by Quarky; 13-03-18, 07:59.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
              Jazz Now- a consistently good programme.

JLU - started off well, but seemed to be drifting in the schmalz direction the last I heard. I guess JLU , being an early evening programme, has an issue with a wider cross-section of potential listeners, in particular the Opera set, assembling in their finery and evening attire for their weekly indulgence.

Swap JLU with GSJazz? That might improve JLU?

Is there, or should there be, a version of Jazz adapted for R3 listeners? Emphasizing the Classical angle, I guess.
              I think it would be fine more-or-less with the programming on R3 remaining roughly as it is, but with less representation on JLU of Eurojazz that really doesn't have much that is new or of interest. Musicians from the Continent seem from current experience to be doing their best work in collaboration with people born over here. There is so much talent right here in this country that even a fanatic such as I has difficulty keeping up with the new names advertised to appear at London venues! I have noticed light 1950s dance music with sugary-toned female vocalists being accepted on JRR of late; and am I wrong to detect some tracks being prematurely ended, like they used do to back in the 1960s?

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                • Nov 2010

S-A, Yes, I played a 1930s UK vocalist with Geraldo a couple of weeks back because her friend - aged 90 something - asked to hear her as there is nowhere else on BBC radio that she stands a gnat's chance of hearing something like this. And there have been approximately two fades in the last three months or so. Glad to see the jazz police are so active and so hostile to the elderly. It is always possible to send in a request yourself for what you would like to hear, but I do not recall one from you in the six years I've been doing the show...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                  S-A, Yes, I played a 1930s UK vocalist with Geraldo a couple of weeks back because her friend - aged 90 something - asked to hear her as there is nowhere else on BBC radio that she stands a gnat's chance of hearing something like this. And there have been approximately two fades in the last three months or so. Glad to see the jazz police are so active and so hostile to the elderly. It is always possible to send in a request yourself for what you would like to hear, but I do not recall one from you in the six years I've been doing the show...
                  I'm very very happy indeed with the bulk of listener requests. And I am the elderly.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

"Everyone knows (us) as old folks
                    Like the seasons we comes and we'll go
                    Just as free as a bird and as good as our word
                    That's why everybody loves us so
                    Always leaving spoons in our coffee
                    Tucking napkins up under our chin..."

Well, I like the Phil Woods version...but won't request it just yet!

BN.

Comment

Working...
                    X