• greenilex
        • Nov 2010

Calm down, his music is gorgeous.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
          Calm down, his music is gorgeous.
          Wwwwwwwwwwwwell - it's OK. Having as I do a certain view of jazz, I do have to aask myself what the point is of reconstructing the jazz of an earler age. Reproduction is OK for school and amateur orchestras out in the provinces somewhere, but the Marsalis agglomeration is a highly professional outfit that promulgates the historic as superseding the cutting edge of Now. Which in jazz terms - for me - is a contradiction in terms.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Wwwwwwwwwwwwell - it's OK. Having as I do a certain view of jazz, I do have to aask myself what the point is of reconstructing the jazz of an earler age. Reproduction is OK for school and amateur orchestras out in the provinces somewhere, but the Marsalis agglomeration is a highly professional outfit that promulgates the historic as superseding the cutting edge of Now. Which in jazz terms - for me - is a contradiction in terms.
            But it doesn't! The most recent Marsalis album features Myra Melford and a composition from her very last album with the score arranged for Big Band. It is interesting that Marsalis gets so much grief when his repertoire includes both earlier compositions and new material. He is not the most adventurous yet I think that jazz is now at a point where a lot of the contemporary groups which have the kudos are little more than pop acts. For my money, the criticism is better directed elsewhere.

Latest Dave Douglas project features Ambrose Akinmusire and Bill Frisell in a homage to Dizzy Gillespie. Don't see anyone dissing Dave Douglas.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              But it doesn't! The most recent Marsalis album features Myra Melford and a composition from her very last album with the score arranged for Big Band.
              I see no connection whatsoever between this and what S_A calls "the cutting edge of Now"!

Comment

Working...
              X