X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Pete Lemer's Local Colour

The pianist-led band that recorded the, in British free jazz terms, groundbreaking 1966 "local Colour" album for Peter Stollman's ESP label, is due to re-unite for a one-off performance of the music under the title "Son of Local Colour" taking place at the Soho Pizza Express tomorrow night, "entry" charge being £25, though from memory one just goes in, to be ushered whether booked or not to an already occupied table, whereupon a waiter approaches you for whatever you're ordering, and you end up settling up for one helluva lot more than you would otherwise have paid for a small cardboard-textured pizza with sparse topping and a pint of hyper-effervescent beer, minus live music.

Anybody in possession of this record will have noted the strong influence of Paul Bley - with whom Lemer had been gigging in NYC the previous year - especially the latter's "Turning Point"; but though the music is inspired and the musicians really went for it, the recording quality, as Jon Hiseman observed, was dire, and I don't think the band ever got paid for it. These alone aren't however the reason why I won't be going along - the re-united line-up consisting of the leader, John Surman, George (Nisar Ahmet) Khan, Tony Reeves on bass, and Hiseman drums, probably promises more than it will deliver, the spirit of the times has changed, all the musicians having diverged drastically from the collective viewpoint then and there assembled. I just don't think it will work - interesting though the results will undoubtedly be. Cream of course, on its own terms, had a few musically comparatively successful re-unions in the 50 years since its initial disbandment, but accounted for by absence of booze and drugs as much as interim experience gathering, whereas the "Local Colour" aggregation was destined as a free jazz one-off, like in the way "Extrapolation" would be 3 years later.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Tonight's gig has sold out, apparently. Alan Skidmore is taking the place of George Khan - of whom I've heard nothing for many a year, apart from a Robert Wyatt thing at the South Bank around 1998, which was very good and had Julie Tippetts alongside Mr Wyatt's regular accompanists including Annie Whitehead. The original "Local Colour" album is available once again in either CD or vinyl. I am due to attend a classical concert in Teddington this coming Sunday which has a woodwind piece by Barbara Thompson on the programme, so will probably get to hear how this evening went.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Tonight's gig has sold out, apparently. Alan Skidmore is taking the place of George Khan - of whom I've heard nothing for many a year, apart from a Robert Wyatt thing at the South Bank around 1998, which was very good and had Julie Tippetts alongside Mr Wyatt's regular accompanists including Annie Whitehead. The original "Local Colour" album is available once again in either CD or vinyl. I am due to attend a classical concert in Teddington this coming Sunday which has a woodwind piece by Barbara Thompson on the programme, so will probably get to hear how this evening went.
      I was reading some of this online last night.

DAVID TOOP INTO THE MAELSTROM: MUSIC, IMPROVISATION AND THE DREAM OF FREEDOM BEFORE 1970

I'm not sure how regarded Toop is, but for me, coming from outside this scene, it's interesting. Not just the music and alliances, but the feuds and splits and recriminations. Also I didn't realise that Derek Bailey played in dance bands (where he felt a "freedom" within the restrictions because often no one took much notice) and that he was in the Opportunity Knocks studio band. That is something! Hughie Green privately called the "Clapometer" the Wankerometer" and the whole set up was a fraud. Who would of thought.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        I was reading some of this online last night.

DAVID TOOP INTO THE MAELSTROM: MUSIC, IMPROVISATION AND THE DREAM OF FREEDOM BEFORE 1970

I'm not sure how regarded Toop is, but for me, coming from outside this scene, it's interesting. Not just the music and alliances, but the feuds and splits and recriminations. Also I didn't realise that Derek Bailey played in dance bands (where he felt a "freedom" within the restrictions because often no one took much notice) and that he was in the Opportunity Knocks studio band. That is something! Hughie Green privately called the "Clapometer" the Wankerometer" and the whole set up was a fraud. Who would of thought.

BN.
        John Thurlow has reproduced a few seconds of Skid playing at tonight's event on the book of faces & sounding great. Not sure if this is permissible to reproduce here, but I imagine there'll be utube stuff a-coming afore long.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Pictures on London Jazz News site:

Seems that moths have been at Jon's cymbals!

Review to come, hopefully!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Pictures on London Jazz News site:

Seems that moths have been at Jon's cymbals!

Review to come, hopefully!
            I see from Twitter (just now) that this is arriving soon...

"A DUET WITH DAVE HOLLAND & EVAN PARKER: FUNDRAISING CONCERT FOR THE VORTEX JAZZ CLUB....FRI 02 MARCH 2018, 7.30PM.
            £50 / £40 SEE VARIOUS LINKS IN EVENT DETAILS

Appreciate it is a fundraiser but is that their "normal" price range? And they seem to want a quick audience turnover between sets...

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              I see from Twitter (just now) that this is arriving soon...

"A DUET WITH DAVE HOLLAND & EVAN PARKER: FUNDRAISING CONCERT FOR THE VORTEX JAZZ CLUB....FRI 02 MARCH 2018, 7.30PM.
              £50 / £40 SEE VARIOUS LINKS IN EVENT DETAILS

Appreciate it is a fundraiser but is that their "normal" price range? And they seem to want a quick audience turnover between sets...

BN.
              One set of 90 minutes duration followed by the second lasting an hour; people are asked to vacate their seats as quick as possible to make way for the next lot. I wouldn't even get the chance to finish my double Courvoisier VSOP.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

It's a long way from seeing the Rolling Stones at Ken Colyer's 51 Club in Soho in 1963! I think that was 15 shillings, if that. Stay as long as you like and have a chat about records with Mick and Keef in the break. Thems was the daze...

BN.

Comment

Working...
                X