• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Boards

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
    Ian, that is what Jazz Library is FOR!!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jzxv3
    Excellent podcast Alyn, that puts it all into context. I guess Hugh was too big a personality for the Jazz framework, he flowed over into other areas. Enjoyed his later laid-back style.

RIP Hugh Masekela.

If ever there was an argument for combining the World Music and Jazz Boards, this thread might be it.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Vespare View Post

If ever there was an argument for combining the World Music and Jazz Boards, this thread might be it.
    Interesting suggestion, why not? There would at least be strength in numbers!

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Interesting suggestion, why not? There would at least be strength in numbers!

OG
      NO!!! Ian won't find anything to write about, claiming it's not jazz!!!!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Getting rid of the Jazz and World Music Boards and replacing them with a single "one-size-fits-all-er" in order to attract larger numbers???

What do people think this is - the BBC???!!!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Getting rid of the Jazz and World Music Boards and replacing them with a single "one-size-fits-all-er" in order to attract larger numbers???

Comment

• CGR
            • Aug 2016

Nope. It's nice to have a board dedicated to Jazz.

I have no interest in 'World Music' - seems a rather silly name since isn't all music of this world?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I've moved this discussion here so that it no longer interferes with Forumistas' tributes to Hugh Masekela.

Here we can argue about which Board I should have put this Thread on - does it really belong on "Jazz"?

I have no wish to or intention of merging World Music and Jazz Boards, but would be interested to hear others' thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Surely the priority is to decide where to place Scott Joplin, Paul Robeson, Charlie Kunz and Clara Rockmore.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I proposed a while back that there should be a general 'Talking About Music' board which would accommodate various genres. At the moment TAM coexists with a number of 'classical' boards, but in effect is simply another classical board. In the same way, Jazz and World boards would coexist if the TAM brief were widened.

My proposal was politely rejected. But the aim was to keep the Jazz and World boards 'purist' - for the purists .
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

As I usually work on the basis of New Posts it would make little difference as to which Board any particular thread is on.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      As I usually work on the basis of New Posts it would make little difference as to which Board it is on.
                      Me, too - it's only since I was put in charge of the bottle washing that I became aware that for some Forumistas, these things are important.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Me, too - it's only since I was put in charge of the bottle washing that I became aware that for some Forumistas, these things are important.
                        Perhaps also I regard the 'genres' of music a continuum rather than pigeonholes!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Perhaps also I regard the 'genres' of music a continuum rather than pigeonholes!
                          The Boards are a bit better than that - if you need to find a Thread (or a specific post therein) then the Board is tremendously helpful in "filtering" the many, many thousands of posts that would have to be searched through if there were none. (A different kind of "continuum" would be required there.)

And they're "headings", not "pigeonholes", surely?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Which was my reason for Making TAM omnigeneric!

The New Posts list is efficient as long as the thread title reflects what people are posting on. But since people are always strictly on topic, I suppose that doesn't apply
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

And they're "headings", not "pigeonholes", surely?
                              Yes, 'pigeonholes' is a bad description as it implies something is completely distinct from other things, clear boundaries; whereas 'classifications' doesn't - think of plant taxonomy.

Comment

Working...
                              X