X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Ian

If you can find a copy I'd also recommend 'The Lasting Impressions of Ooga Booga'(Verve) recorded with Masekela's quartet live at the Village Gate, New York in 1965.

Here's a version of Herbie Hancock's 'Canteloupe Island':

Hugh Masekela, from the album originally "The Americanization Of Ooga Booga" and later released as "The Lasting Impressions of Ooga Booga". Recorded live at ...

Alternatively, the 1972 album 'Home Is Where The Music Is'(Decca) with Makaya Ntshoko & Dudu Pukwana.

JR
    Last edited by Jazzrook; 25-01-18, 19:23.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
      Ian, that is what Jazz Library is FOR!!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jzxv3
      Excellent podcast Alyn, that puts it all into context. I guess Hugh was too big a personality for the Jazz framework, he flowed over into other areas. Enjoyed his later laid-back style.

RIP Hugh Masekela.
      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 25-01-18, 10:12.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Masekela's sad passing obviously places a question mark over the coming weekend's jazz broadcasting, when the schedules will be changed to make way for tributes. Boardees won't therefore mind if I take a week off from posting my usual notices, and instead start a thread tomorrow for anyone with anything they may want to say about the programmes.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Forum Admin discussion moved elsewhere.

Great man.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

This is the tribute from Radio France International:

South African horn player, singer-songwriter and anti-apartheid activist Hugh Masekela died this week, aged 78, after a long battle with cancer. In exile, he used his music to denounce apartheid and…

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Just bumping this up for tonight's Masekela documentary on BBC 4 at 8 pm: "Hugh Masekela: Welcome to South Africa".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Just bumping this up for tonight's Masekela documentary on BBC 4 at 8 pm: "Hugh Masekela: Welcome to South Africa".
                  Well, that was pretty boring, apart from some nice trumpet playing and the contributions on alto from... was it Soweto Kinch, or Jason Yarde? I recognise that top-knot anywhere. The choir, and especially orchestra, added nothing, for me. Glad I failed to fork out for those expensive tickets...

Comment

Working...
                  X