X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Roswell Rudd RIP...

"Trombonist Roswell Rudd, who was equally powerful playing with jazz’s leading avant-gardists such as Archie Shepp and Steve Lacy or collaborating with musicians from Mali and Mongolia, died Wednesday night, succumbing to cancer that had been diagnosed in 2013. Rudd was 82.

Born in 1935 in Sharon, Connecticut, Rudd attended Yale University and played there with a student Dixieland band that recorded two albums. However, Rudd by the 1960s was making music with such revolutionary jazz players as pianist Cecil Taylor and saxophonists John Tchicai and Archie Shepp. Rudd appears on Shepp’s groundbreaking mid-’60s Impulse! records Live in San Francisco and Four For Trane. Rudd was also the trombonist in the first edition of Charlie Haden’s Libermation Music Orchestra and he appeared on several Carla Bley recordings in the 1970s. The 1980s and 1990s saw Rudd appearing on albums that explored the music of Thelonious Monk and Herbie Hichols. At some point, Rudd dropped out of the jazz scene for a while, as he told the Citizen in an interview for a 2004 profile.

Rudd is survived by his partner, Verna Gillis, his long-long friend with whom he became romantically involved in 2000. Gillis is an ethnomusicologist and she and Rudd travelled widely for their work.
    This year, the couple released this video for their piece Awesome and Gruesome, inspired by Rudd’s battle with cancer."

Ottawa Citizen today.

*"Four for Trane", the Impulse Archie Shepp album Rudd played on and arranged, is one of my favourite records of all time. A superb date.

RIP Mr Rudd.

BN.
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    "Trombonist Roswell Rudd, who was equally powerful playing with jazz’s leading avant-gardists such as Archie Shepp and Steve Lacy or collaborating with musicians from Mali and Mongolia, died Wednesday night, succumbing to cancer that had been diagnosed in 2013. Rudd was 82.

Born in 1935 in Sharon, Connecticut, Rudd attended Yale University and played there with a student Dixieland band that recorded two albums. However, Rudd by the 1960s was making music with such revolutionary jazz players as pianist Cecil Taylor and saxophonists John Tchicai and Archie Shepp. Rudd appears on Shepp’s groundbreaking mid-’60s Impulse! records Live in San Francisco and Four For Trane. Rudd was also the trombonist in the first edition of Charlie Haden’s Libermation Music Orchestra and he appeared on several Carla Bley recordings in the 1970s. The 1980s and 1990s saw Rudd appearing on albums that explored the music of Thelonious Monk and Herbie Hichols. At some point, Rudd dropped out of the jazz scene for a while, as he told the Citizen in an interview for a 2004 profile.

Rudd is survived by his partner, Verna Gillis, his long-long friend with whom he became romantically involved in 2000. Gillis is an ethnomusicologist and she and Rudd travelled widely for their work.
    This year, the couple released this video for their piece Awesome and Gruesome, inspired by Rudd’s battle with cancer."

Ottawa Citizen today.

*"Four for Trane", the Impulse Archie Shepp album Rudd played on and arranged, is one of my favourite records of all time. A superb date.

RIP Mr Rudd.

BN.
    Sad news. Apart from 'Four For Trane' I've always liked Rudd's playing on his 1982 album 'Regeneration'(Soul Note) - a tribute to Herbie Nichols & Monk with Steve Lacy.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Sad news. Apart from 'Four For Trane' I've always liked Rudd's playing on his 1982 album 'Regeneration'(Soul Note) - a tribute to Herbie Nichols & Monk with Steve Lacy.

JR
      His final most recent album "Embrace", an album of mostly standards, with a quartet with Lafayette Harris on piano and female vocals, has had some very strong reviews. There was a birthday/tribute concert for him in November at Dizzys with Archie Shepp etc. He seems to have been held in great respect and affection. One of the good guys.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

His final most recent album "Embrace", an album of mostly standards, with a quartet with Lafayette Harris on piano and female vocals, has had some very strong reviews. There was a birthday/tribute concert for him in November at Dizzys with Archie Shepp etc. He seems to have been held in great respect and affection. One of the good guys.

BN.
        I think our own Nick Evans took a lot from Roswell Rudd - and maybe Annie Whitehead too. Iirc she was on a British recording alongside Rudd and Paul Rutherford and Elton Dean about 15 years ago, under pianist Alex Maguire's leadership - some powerful free stuff but also standards. Must look that one up. One of my favourites involving Rudd was Regeneration on an Italian label from around 1982 - a side each of Herbie Nicols and Monk tunes, with Steve Lacy and Han Bennink the Dutch drummer, who I believe is still going strong. There's also a timeless mid-60s thing with Louis Moholo absent without leave in Argentina someone kindly did a tape of for me.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I think our own Nick Evans took a lot from Roswell Rudd - and maybe Annie Whitehead too. Iirc she was on a British recording alongside Rudd and Paul Rutherford and Elton Dean about 15 years ago, under pianist Alex Maguire's leadership - some powerful free stuff but also standards. Must look that one up. One of my favourites involving Rudd was Regeneration on an Italian label from around 1982 - a side each of Herbie Nicols and Monk tunes, with Steve Lacy and Han Bennink the Dutch drummer, who I believe is still going strong. There's also a timeless mid-60s thing with Louis Moholo absent without leave in Argentina someone kindly did a tape of for me.
          Would that be one of the Wire mag recordings on cassette?

Think I still have a couple of those somewhere (probably my garage).
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

BN.
            The 2011 reissue of Steve Lacy's 1963 album 'School Days'(EMANEM 5016) with Rudd, Henry Grimes & Dennis Charles is also marvellous.
            Glad I saw Rudd(in his hunting jacket!) with Shepp, Grachan Moncur III, Jimmy Garrison & Beaver Harris at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1967.
            Shepp was prowling around the stage like a caged tiger and the absolutely ferocious music provoked a mass exodus.
            Those who remained gave a standing ovation.
            The Miles Davis Quintet were also on the bill.

JR
            Last edited by Jazzrook; 23-12-17, 10:39.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

S-A, the Alex McGuire / Roswell band was on Impressions. This is the reference: http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/77473fa78...cc727873703bff So more like 21 years ago than 15. I did the interviews with Roswell and Elton for that show. Roswell a delightful man. Very interesting on Herbie Nichols and Steve Lacy.

Comment

Working...
              X