• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Charles Lloyd beats the Domino Effect to a successful Finnish

Sat 16 Dec
    4 pm Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces more jazz requests, this time revisiting classic tunes with a festiva flavour, including the Latin jazz of Tito Puente.

5 pm Jazz Line-Up
    Presented by Julian Joseph. Featuring a performance by American saxophonist Charles Lloyd and his quartet, recordede at the Tampere Jazz Happening in the southern Finnish city at the beginning of November.

A performance by saxophonist Charles Lloyd recorded at Tampere Jazz Happening in Finland.

12 midnight Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith continues his annual Christmas tradition of providing listeners with a party-orientated pick of music by prominent jazz stars from the past year, plus yuletide treats courtesy of Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Eric Dolphy, Lionel Hampton and Fats Domino.

Yuletide treats from Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie to Lionel Hampton and Fats Domino

Mon 18 Dec
    11 pm Jazz Now

A tribute to the Scottish saxophonist Bobby Wellins, who died two years ago, recorded at the Herts Jazz festival in Welwyn Garden City.

This includes Bobby's heartfelt tribute to historic Scottish success, "The Culloden Suite".

Tues 19 Dec
    11 pm Late Junction

Verity Sharp reflects on the Radio 4 series Black Music in Europe [Pt 1 9 am, repeated 9.30 pm] which began today and which challenges the notion that black popular music arrived in Europe with the Empire Windrush in 1948.

Could be one of the most interesting series Radio 3 has ever put on.
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 16 Dec
    4 pm Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces more jazz requests, this time revisiting classic tunes with a festiva flavour, including the Latin jazz of Tito Puente.

5 pm Jazz Line-Up
    Presented by Julian Joseph. Featuring a performance by American saxophonist Charles Lloyd and his quartet, recordede at the Tampere Jazz Happening in the southern Finnish city at the beginning of November.

A performance by saxophonist Charles Lloyd recorded at Tampere Jazz Happening in Finland.

12 midnight Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith continues his annual Christmas tradition of providing listeners with a party-orientated pick of music by prominent jazz stars from the past year, plus yuletide treats courtesy of Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Eric Dolphy, Lionel Hampton and Fats Domino.

Yuletide treats from Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie to Lionel Hampton and Fats Domino

Mon 18 Dec
    11 pm Jazz Now

A tribute to the Scottish saxophonist Bobby Wellins, who died two years ago, recorded at the Herts Jazz festival in Welwyn Garden City.

This includes Bobby's heartfelt tribute to historic Scottish success, "The Culloden Suite".

Tues 19 Dec
    11 pm Late Junction

Verity Sharp reflects on the Radio 4 series Black Music in Europe [Pt 1 9 am, repeated 9.30 pm] which began today and which challenges the notion that black popular music arrived in Europe with the Empire Windrush in 1948.

Could be one of the most interesting series Radio 3 has ever put on.
    Yes - thank you.

I wasn't aware of the pre-Windrush programmes and will see what they offer.

The Tito Puente feature will also be of interest.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Boy, this Charles Lloyd group on JLU is amazing!

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Boy, this Charles Lloyd group on JLU is amazing!
        Agreed, S_A. One of the best things I've ever heard on JLU!

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

JR
          Never been a "huge" fan of Charles Lloyd, but agreed that was pretty good. And a lot more energised than I expected. There's a trio track on the long ago "Of Course, Of Course, album he made with Tony Williams called "Apex". I heard this unannounced on TSF radio in France and thought who the hell is that? Coltrane meets Ornette ... One for a blindfold test. I wouldn't have got it.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

Always been a huge fan of Charles - might be worth downloading the Jazz Library
            American saxophonist Charles Lloyd joins Alyn Shipton to select his best recordings.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              Never been a "huge" fan of Charles Lloyd, but agreed that was pretty good. And a lot more energised than I expected. There's a trio track on the long ago "Of Course, Of Course, album he made with Tony Williams called "Apex". I heard this unannounced on TSF radio in France and thought who the hell is that? Coltrane meets Ornette ... One for a blindfold test. I wouldn't have got it.

BN.
              I've never been too impressed by Charles Lloyd's playing in the past but was bowled over by his high energy performance on JLU. Glad I taped it!
              Difficult to believe he turns 80 next year.
              That trio track 'Apex' from his overlooked 1965 album 'Of Course, Of Course' deserves an airing on JRR sometime.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

I'll do the "Apex" request in 2018. I also want Sonny's "We kiss in a shadow" (Impulse) and Hank Mobley's "There's a lull in my life" (Blue note) in the tenor ballad slot. But that maybe greedy...

Q. Why hasn't "Lull in my life" been used more often? It's a great tune.

Comment

• PUSB
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

JR
                  I agree. The rest of the programme was utter dross, though.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I've just posted this link to this mornings first of three episodes of the Radio 4 programme on Black pre-jazz music in recordings from the beginning of the last century, referred to in my OP. With so much to learn about origins when it comes to jazz, blues and gospel, this extremely erudite and well-presented series looks likely to be an invaluable aid to further investigation, and includes amazing recordings made in Europe at the turn of the century, long before the ODJB.

Episode 1 is repeated tonight at 9.30 pm.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

I've just posted this link to this mornings first of three episodes of the Radio 4 programme on Black pre-jazz music in recordings from the beginning of the last century, referred to in my OP. With so much to learn about origins when it comes to jazz, blues and gospel, this extremely erudite and well-presented series looks likely to be an invaluable aid to further investigation, and includes amazing recordings made in Europe at the turn of the century, long before the ODJB.

Episode 1 is repeated tonight at 9.30 pm.
                      Thanks for that. I had forgotten and thought I'd missed it.

Btw, not jazz but for those of a certain age, Jane Birkin was on Private Passions on R3 last Sunday. She's OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X