• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Courtley dances, while others harp on.

Sat 2 Dec
    4 pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with a pick of requests, including a track featuring British trumpeter Bert Courtley (1929-69).

5 pm - Jazz Line-Up
    Kevin Le Gendre presents harpist Alina Bzhezhinska and her quartet in a concert tribute to Alice Coltrane, recorded last month at the Barbican at the London Jazz Festival.

Staff at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland are internationally recongised for their work. View our staff's prpfiles to learn more about our community.

Kofi is served with this dish.

Midnight - Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith salutes Ohio-born virtuoso saxophonist Joe Lovano as he approaches his 65th birthday. As a master of tenor, soprano and alto, Lovano has developed a reputation for his inventive approach to tackling a whole spectrum of styles, from funk to free, combos to chamber groups.

An affable man of truly firm handshake as well as one of the best tenorists around. I first heard [of] Lovano through the Paul Motian trio of the 1980s with the two of them plus Bill Frisell - pretty impressive, and admired by many on this bored, too; later I managed to meet him, briefly, and had my hand "squeezed".

Geoffrey Smith salutes Joe Lovano, the saxophonist's saxophonist.

Mon 4 Dec
    11 pm - Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents Jay Phelps's Quartet in concert at Pizza Express, Soho. Emma Smith meets piano star Hiromi, and Al Ryan has the latest jazz tracks uploaded to BBC introducing.

Soweto Kinch presents Jay Phelps's Quartet in concert at Pizza Express, Soho.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

BB King shock/squeezed my hand c.1985. Well, more like a vice. He broke three fingers and I've been unable to reach into my pocket and buy anyone a pint since. Or fingerpick "Angie".

I've got a very good tape of Lovano, Motian and Hank Frizzled, live at the Barbican. They play Angel Eyes. More people should do that and once they did.

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Katie Derham deserves a very honorary mention this week, imv:
      Katie Derham looks at the origins of jazz dance, including the Charleston.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
        Katie Derham deserves a very honorary mention this week, imv:
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09h34vr
        I clicked at the bottom where it says "show more".

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I clicked at the bottom where it says "show more".
          Not strictly jazz, perhaps?

OG

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

The Harold Land track that Kevin played (Ode to Angela) was excellent. Super bass playing from Buster Williams on that one too.
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
              The Harold Land track that Kevin played (Ode to Angela) was excellent. Super bass playing from Buster Williams on that one too.
              Good album. "A New Shade of Blue". All his albums from around this time are.

Comment

• Rcartes
                • Feb 2011

Marsalis piece in JRR

I thought JRR this week was up to standard - except for the Branford Marsalis piece, The Ruby and the Pearl, which I thought was no better than tedious lift music. Rather surprised that someone requested it.

Comment

Working...
                X