X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CGR
    • Aug 2016

London Jazz Festival

No comments or reviews on here from the London Jazz Festival.

We managed to get down to London for an evening concert - Chris Ingham's Rebop playing music from the classic Blue Note era, and to the lunchtime concert by Dee Byrne's Entropi at the Pizza Express.

The Chris Ingham's Rebop concert was great. It was marvelous to hear old hard-bop standards played with such enthusiasm and musicianship. My cd shelves are full of this stuff and I was familier with almost every tune played and that was true for many others in the audience I would expect.

The Entropi lunchtime gig was a different affair alltogether. An interesting mix of composed themes, improv, free jazz with more than a hint of classical minimalism at times. It was very typical of much of the music put out on the Whirlwind label. I really enjoyed it !!!

• Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

True. Too far Sarf! I did get to see Pat Metheny in Hull, however (also on in London as part of EFG festival). Great gig, 2.5 hours continuous performance - shame about the poor acoustic of the City Hall, though.

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CGR View Post
      No comments or reviews on here from the London Jazz Festival.

We managed to get down to London for an evening concert - Chris Ingham's Rebop playing music from the classic Blue Note era, and to the lunchtime concert by Dee Byrne's Entropi at the Pizza Express.

The Chris Ingham's Rebop concert was great. It was marvelous to hear old hard-bop standards played with such enthusiasm and musicianship. My cd shelves are full of this stuff and I was familier with almost every tune played and that was true for many others in the audience I would expect.

The Entropi lunchtime gig was a different affair alltogether. An interesting mix of composed themes, improv, free jazz with more than a hint of classical minimalism at times. It was very typical of much of the music put out on the Whirlwind label. I really enjoyed it !!!
      Thanks for the plug there for Dee Byrne, courtesy that link clip. I have a lot of time for Dee. She now has a regular Monday night jam session at a place called Ceviche, just off the Old Street roundabout - see below:

06/11/2017 20:00 free Chifa Mondays Get Down Dee Byrne (alto sax), Dave O’Brien (piano), Huw V Williams (bass), Simon Roth (drums) 13/11/2017 20:00 free Chifa Mondays Get Down Dee Byrne (alto sax),…

and posts news on the book of faces:

Dee Byrne Music. 373 likes. This page features all Dee Byrne related musical activities!

It's free entry, but I discovered that the only way to reach it by public transport would involve three changes, and hanging around on freezing railway platforms for a hour each way. If this were summer it'd take me less time to cycle the distance!

Comment

• Rcartes
        • Feb 2011

I went with friends to the Abdullah Ibrahim/Ekaya concert but it was a pretty downbeat affair.

I was sorry to have missed Pharoah Sanders at the Barbican, anyone know if it was good?

Comment

Working...
        X