X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
    Perhaps not that well known but the Steve Lacy/Roswell Rudd Quartet of 1962/1963 I think is a wonderful example of the pianoless quartet. Playing mostly Monk compositions both Lacy and Rudd show a deep understanding of Monk and these interpretations while fairly early on are still some of the best. On the Cuneiform album "early and late" from 1962 they tackle Cecil Taylors Song 2 - ace

elmo

Good to see you back, Elmo

I am less enthused by the other Lacy recording with Charles Davis that was made without a piano although the recent Avid set distorts this because the other 3 albums featured are more rewarding. One of the best discs I have bought this year.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Don Cherry's overlooked 1966 album 'Where Is Brooklyn?'(BLUE NOTE) with Pharoah Sanders, Henry Grimes & Ed Blackwell.

Here's 'The Thing':

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by elmo View Post
        Perhaps not that well known but the Steve Lacy/Roswell Rudd Quartet of 1962/1963 I think is a wonderful example of the pianoless quartet. Playing mostly Monk compositions both Lacy and Rudd show a deep understanding of Monk and these interpretations while fairly early on are still some of the best. On the Cuneiform album "early and late" from 1962 they tackle Cecil Taylors Song 2 - ace

elmo
        Here are Steve Lacy & Roswell Rudd and their Monksiland Band at the Iridium Club playing Monk's 'Nutty':

"AFTER 50 YEARS, THELONIOUS' MUSIC HAS BECOME AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THE JAZZ REPERTORY. AS SUCH, IT IS BY NOW, SUBJECT TO A MUCH FREER USE OF IT BY THE PLAYE...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Steve Lacy's 1961 album 'Evidence' with Don Cherry, Carl Brown & Billy Higgins.

Here's Monk's 'San Francisco Holiday':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            Good to see you back, Elmo

I am less enthused by the other Lacy recording with Charles Davis that was made without a piano although the recent Avid set distorts this because the other 3 albums featured are more rewarding. One of the best discs I have bought this year.
            Thanks Ian

By coincidence I have been playing a pre bop pianoless quartet - a very fine session by the Bechet/Spanier Big Four with Carmen Maestren and Wellman Braud. They were very at ease in this piano less line up and this was recorded in 1940/41. So perhaps we need to review idea it all started with the Mulligan/Baker quartet.

The other Pianoless Quartet that I have been playing is The Billy Bang quartet "Valve no 10" on Soulnote with Frank Lowe, Sirone and Dennis Charles - Violin and Tenor blend together very well and Bang and Lowe are superb musicians. The version of Trane's Lonnie's Lament is very moving and Frank Lowe manages not to sound at all like Trane, quite a feat considering how classic Trane's version is. Check it out on Youtube.

Bought that Herbie Hancock solo piano album on your recommendation - fully agree with you it is a real inspired session, thank you for making me aware of it. Made me replay my copy of "The Prisoner" with its superb arrangements and the underrated Johnny Coles.

elmo

Comment

Working...
            X