X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Aaron Diehl trio @ Turner SIms

After last week's packed out gig for Christian Scott, this week's gig at the Turner Sims saw less than 100 poeple turn up to heat the Aaron Diehl trio. Diehl was clearly astonished to see a 2/3 empty venue which has previously seem big audiences for piano trios which probably represent the most popular idiom in jazz at the moment. Five minutes before the gig, it looked like there would be less than 40 people there as the auditorium was empty.

The first set opened with Joe Zawunal's "Frog legs" and this set the tone for the whole gig. The repertoire went on to include music by host of jazz composers from the mainstream including Dizzy Gillespie, Horace Silver , Bud Powell, Walter Davis and Archie Shepp. I felt that the originals weren't too interesting but a jazz version of a Philip Glass etude was extremely successful. Diehl started off as a classical musician and has worked in some of Glass's own ensembles and therefore it was quite strange to witness a piano trio that effectively eschewed anything as modern as Bill Evans. Talking with friends afterwards, names like Ray Bryant, Hank Jones and Red Garland came up in the conversation. There were two solo numbers, the first of which was Fat's Waller's "Viper's Drag" which showed Diehl's musicality and his ability to employ his left hand to conjure up improvised lines in opposition to the lines being played in the other hand. However, the attempt at earlier repertoire exposed the fact that he did not have the monstrous technique of a player like Fats Waller.

The bass and drums accentuated the feel of the kind of jazz performed in the 1950's (right down to the Philly-Joe accents on the 4th beat of the bar) and the absence of young members in the audience clearly demonstrated the lack of appeal of this kind of jazz with anyone under the age of retirement. I would suggest that there were less than about 5 people younger than 60. If you are going to consider EST as a "vintage piano trio", players like Diehl have no relevance to you. I was reminded a bit of another earlier player, Junior Mance even if the block chord elements of his playing were clearly derived from Red Garland. The whole sense of swing put me in mind of a gig I had heard Mance play back in the 1990's.

I must admit that I find piano trios very boring. The oeuvre is on it's last legs and it is one of the least appealing line ups because there does not really seem that much left to do with a combination of piano, bass and drums. Piano gigs are the only ones where I have fallen asleep in except for a Japanese group I caught earlier this year! (I have gone to sleep twice on both occasions I saw Tord Gustavsen) Solo piano is far more compelling, I think. I was intrigued by Diehl's approach which is clearly to revisit an earlier style as opposed to continually re-invent the format with nods to other musical styles. During the first half, I nearly fell asleep during the Archie Shepp ballad but the repertoire chosen by Diehl in the second set was more interesting, largely because so much of jazz composition from the 1950's remains so unexplored. Who is familiar with the under-appreciated Walter Davis these days, for instance? I quite like his crisp and light touch and he was extremely personable with some fascinating insights in to the music when introducing each composition. That said, I think that there are many players in the UK who are head and shoulders above him technically and, if you take the Finnish pianist featured on JLU this evening, he was not in the same class in comparison with the European. I would have to say that the JLU track left me cold and contrasted with Diehl's repertoire-based approach which seemed to connect better in my opinion. It was interesting simply for the fact that you wondered which jazz composer he was going to interpret next as much as for what he actually played.

All in all, it was a strange concert. The emptiness of the venue was a bit of a shock and evidence that the British audience is more likely to plump for an unknown European act as opposed to a relatively-unknown American these days. I don't think that the gig was have appealed at all to SA and I would envisage that Jazzrook and Bluesnik would have been pretty dismissive simply because the originals tackled this kind of jazz so much more effectively. When Diehl played Bud Powell's wonderful bop composition "Celia", the brittle, edgy and compulsion of the original was replaced with an easy-going bounce. In fact, I would expect SA to have been extremely dismissive of this gig and maybe not considered it seriously. I do think that Calum would have loved the concert though. Personally, I can see both sides of the argument. I like this style of jazz yet it palls in comparison with the original masters and I am not convinced he is as good as the likes of players like Bill Charlap who pursues a similar, rigidly conservative agenda. If anything, last night's gig demonstrated the antipathy towards the jazz mainstream by today's audiences and the indifference to an artist who has garnered rave reviews in his native America yet is relatively unknown over here.

I would be fascinated to read what other people think of Diehl's music as you can imagine this approach being as polarising as someone like Wynton Marsalis.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Just checking I see he's only 32 - I'd been expecting to find some minor neglected figure maybe in his 80s! To be honest you've summed up my responses to your report very accurately (for which thanks for going to the trouble, Ian). I would only be going to a gig such a this if it was a minor but nevertheless under-recognised British player down in one of my locals, just for the company!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Just checking I see he's only 32 - I'd been expecting to find some minor neglected figure maybe in his 80s! To be honest you've summed up my responses to your report very accurately (for which thanks for going to the trouble, Ian). I would only be going to a gig such a this if it was a minor but nevertheless under-recognised British player down in one of my locals, just for the company!
      Aaron Diehl has been getting some excellent reviews and is clearly more highly though of in the States than the UK. He is also the accompanist for Cecile McLoren-Salvant and therefore no slouch. The strange thing is that I like this kind of jazz but there were elements in Diehl's playing that were concerning. Take this version of "Uranus" which was also performed last night and similarly included the quote from Bud Powell's "In poco loco." The other thing was that sitting facing the keyboard, it appeared to me that some of the runs he played did not seem to be picked up by the microphone and it looked like he was fluffing the notes. This may have been an illusion. I don't know if this was due to the acoustics in the hall or the amplification but he seemed a merely "ok" pianist and seemingly unlikely to be a regular collaborator with Philip Glass. I just got the impression that he was not that technically assured in comparison with his contemporaries. Having seen countless piano players over the years with musicians like Herbie Hancock, Brad Mehldau, Roberto Fonseca and Chucho Valdes being almost super-human, Diehl was clearly nowhere as near as technically accomplished let alone as creative as an improviser. You might argue that he was having an off night in a concert hall where hardly anyone bothered to show up but the impression I got (rightly or wrongly) was that there are plenty of players even locally who are head and shoulders above Diehl in ability. He was particularly exposed in the Waller composition but there was a fascinating article on line a few years back in conjunction with the then recent release of the Jason Moran tribute album of Waller compositions which implied that Moran's technique was no match for Waller's and, indeed, that there were few contemporary players who were.

It is interesting to see jazz pianists because this is an instrument I used to play and therefore have a degree of understanding whereas I have no idea what it takes to play a guitar, the drums or a saxophone. Notwithstanding the fact that you tend to feel partisan about musicians who play the same instrument you once learned, there are some pianists you like and some you might hate. With Diehl, I just got the impression that in the more conservatoire-based European jazz scene, no one would have paid him much attention in the UK - this coming from a position of someone who would prefer a jazz musician who comes from the tradition than a musician trying to re-invent the wheel.

No doubt, I think you would have been extremely unimpressed.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

I only vaguely know the name and he hasn't cropped up much on my "go to" US jazz website. But as that's mostly "Wynton now suks" territory, maybe not so surprising. Anyway, prompted by the repertoire, I just now looked at him on Utube. He obviously has a following and touches a lot of "history" bases. Surprisingly, he nods to John Lewis in one interview. Surprise, in that's not a name you hear many "younger pianists" citing, so as Ian infers he's referencing back. He's studied with those in the idiom, Kenny Barron, Charlap etc, so that's rubbed off. What's to say? I'll check him out some more. Not really bowled over with what I've (very briefly) seen so far. Competent yes. But a quote I remember from Jimmy Heath who made one album with a good new young white trumpet player (name on the tip) in the early 60s - when asked years later about him, Heath said, "Yes he was good, but there were a LOT of other very good trumpet players on the scene then". And so it goes...

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

The John Lewis influence makes sense but the interviews I have read suggest he was obsessed with Oscar Peterson to begin with before his tastes widened. I do not totally buy in to the "Wynton sucks" territory because there is so much else that is far worse to be exercised by these days. Wynton gets a bad press but he still manages to engage with serious musicians as is demonstrated by the appearance of Myra Melford on his latest record.

To be honest, I quite like hearing a lot of retrospective material and hearing bands perform old Fletcher Henderson charts or works by Ellington can be instructive. I would have to argue as well that there is a mine of brilliant material from the 50's and 60's which has never been thoroughly explored so hats off to Aaron Diehl for checking out Walter Davis. Speaking with Logan Richardson last week, I am reminded about Heath's involvement in jazz education and it is true that there are many, many great players who never get the attention. The issue for me with Diehl was not so much the retrospective nature of the repertoire but the fact he only had a so-so technique. As I said, I may be ill-judging him due to the efforts of the sound engineer last night but I felt that he was really fortunate to receive the attention he has. That said, John Lewis was another pianist who managed to make a career with a pretty limited technique - but going back to Jimmy Heath, Lewis was another musician the legendary tenor-player was dismissive about. I don't think that a player like John Lewis would be feasible in 2017 given the way that jazz piano has developed.

I keep waiting for the new Paul Giallorenzo album to come out. This is more my cup of tea.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Well, I like John Lewis and his "economy" and as I've argued before it's technique in the service of an end and not the reverse. Or should be. And I wonder how much the "media" driven career structure of jazz overstretches people. This level of pianist would have been locally OK in the 50s (Chicago, Detroit etc), decently respected, and would probably have stayed there working. There just seems such a large currency of musicians all making frontline NY music with nothing THAT distinctive to say. They just wash over. Not just pianists but saxophonists who one minute are "the rising name" and the next teaching reeds at some second league university or working TV background band gigs. Organissimo is full of questions of "whatever happened to" semi name players of the last ten or fifteen years.

It's all very depressing to a man of my advanced years. Time to open a bottle and stick on some Otis Spann...

BN.

Comment

Working...
            X