Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"One Jackie McLean album that's rarely mentioned is his 1962 'Tippin' The Scales'(BLUE NOTE) which didn't see the light of day until 1984 and is very hard to find today. Anyone heard it? "

Yes, I've got a copy on a US Bluenote cassette from '84.

It's an OK sesion, Jackie with Sonny Clark, Butch Warren and Art Taylor. The title track is fine - fast modal - but the rest of the material is a bit routine. Rainy Blues and Nursery blues are just B/note session filler. It's said that this was Jackie working his way up to Let Freedom Ring, hence when THAT came out, this was shelved. Sonny Clark is very good on it and there's a nice Cabin in the Sky. Otherwise, not essential.

Jackie's Danish albums with Dex are well worth a listen. Not a likely pairing but it works out well. Jackie with Tina Brooks (Shades of Red, Jackie's Bag) are a MUST. Gorgeous pairing.

BN.

Comment

• elmo
      • Nov 2010

How about some of the marvellous Jackie from the 50's - Blakey's Hard Bop album scorching solos on Cranky Spanky and Stanley's stiff chickens (great title), Jackie with Sonny Clark on the classic Cool Struttin. Lights out on Prestige with the superb Elmo Hope, New Soil on Blue note - up there with the classic 60's albums and the album I played today which prompted this reply, Fat Jazz now available as the Complete Jubilee sessions on Lonehill. Jackie is on great form on this session with a very good band - Webster Young, Ray Draper, Gil Coggins, George Tucker, Larry Ritchie; Jackie plays a superb solo on Tune Up and the rhythm section are really good, George Tucker was a wonderful Bassist and We should have heard a lot more from Gil Coggins.

The other good stuff I listened to while painting the bathroom ceiling today was Yusef Lateef The last Savoy sessions (The Fabric of Jazz) with Bernard McKinney....as we say in Wales - Well tidy

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Kenny Garrett - a worthy successor to JM in the funk/fusion field?
        S-A

Staggered by this comment! Wondered if you had ever been fortunate enough to catch this musician play live? He certainly isn't a fusion player by any stretch of the imagination. Some of the more recent records have been easier on the ear but live he is easily one of the best artists on the current scene. Whenever I have seen him play (four times, I think) he has managed to whip the audience into a frenzy, usually with an extremely infectious composition called "Happy People."

I first saw him play in a quartet with Pat Metheny where they played a set of Coltrane numbers fuelled by the then unknown Brian Blade on drums. Easily the best jazz gig I've ever been too- especially when Dave Liebman entered the club in Copenhagen and sat in on "Like Sonny."

I don't feel that there is anything "funk " or "fusion" about him although he can get as funky as someone like the under-appreciated Cannonball Adderley. More recently he's been backed by a very impressive drummer called Chris Dave who has managed to incorporate hop-hop style grooves into a contemporary jazz style that ideally complements the altoist.

Check this out:-

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Bluesnik ~ Many thanks for your comments on 'Tippin' The Scales'. Will probably give this one a miss. Agree about Shades of Redd/Jackie's Bag ~ marvellous music
          Will have to track down 'Live at Montmartre'(STEEPLECHASE) sometime soon. Have we had a 'Jazz Library' on Jackie McLean yet? If so, I must have missed it.
          Glad you enjoyed 'Passion Dance'. Here's Jackie's 'Appointment in Ghana' from the same concert.
          Jackie McLean, McCoy Tyner, Cecil McBee, Jack DeJohnette, Woody Shaw

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

If it wasn't a Jazz Library, I'm pretty sure there was a Jazz Legends on JM some years ago. Fantastically nice guy, from memory, as well as great player, obviously.

S-A

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

SA

Check out JRR tomorrow as Kenny Garrett's version of "Lonnies Lament" is on the play list. This is a great album and was the group that I saw in Copenhagen around 1996. Plenty of other intersting stuff too - especially of an earlier vintage.

Won't be around myself , I'm afraid as I will probably be fast asleep on a train.

Comment

Working...
              X