X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

The Jazz Kings Go to War

Mrs G has drawn my attention to this: The Jazz Kings Go to War (as they say on R3) over on Radio4 as part of World War I: The Cultural Front. I have downloaded it, but not yet listened to it. I thought other bored members may be interested.

OG
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

I know I read somewhere that the use of a bottleneck or slide in embryonic blues guitar playing arose from Black American soldiers meeting Hawaiian in WW1. And the Beltona tuning that Skip James later used. They certainly had more than enough to be "blue" about. Carnage.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

There is footage of James Reece Europe's band after 15 minutes.

I believe that Will Vodery was also led a band in France in 1917 but I think this is the clip I had seen previously . Fascinating to see footage of such a shadowy and legendary figure.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        There is footage of James Reece Europe's band after 15 minutes.

I believe that Will Vodery was also led a band in France in 1917 but I think this is the clip I had seen previously . Fascinating to see footage of such a shadowy and legendary figure.

Pre-talkies, so the band must have been dubbed onto that footage. Pretty amazing synchronisation. Thanks for finding this, Ian.

Comment

Working...
        X