All Things Brighton Beautiful in the Moon Hoochlight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

All Things Brighton Beautiful in the Moon Hoochlight.

Sat 5 Aug
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

As Radio 3 celebrates the 70th birthday of the Edinburgh International Festival, Alyn Shipton plays requests with a Scottish tinge, and music from Jamaican-born pianist Monty Alexander.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    An Intimate duo set featuring American bassist Greg Cohen and pianist Declan Forde, performed in June at the Glasgow Jazz Festival.

American bassist Greg Cohen in an intimate duo set with pianist Declan Forde.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    To John Coltrane, Johnny Hodges (1907-70) was "the world's greatest saxophone player". Geoffrey Smith with highlights from a unique jazz career.

This is a repeat.

Geoffrey Smith picks some highlights from the career of Johnny Hodges.

Mon 7 Aug
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a Brighton concert by Brooklyn saxophone and drums trio Moon Hooch, featuring Mike Wilbur and Welzel McGowen on reeds and drummer James Muschler. Plus a set by Vels Trio, and Al Ryan has the latest from BBC Introducing.

Soweto Kinch presents Brooklyn saxophone and drums trio Moon Hooch in concert in Brighton.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 5 Aug
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

As Radio 3 celebrates the 70th birthday of the Edinburgh International Festival, Alyn Shipton plays requests with a Scottish tinge, and music from Jamaican-born pianist Monty Alexander.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    An Intimate duo set featuring American bassist Greg Cohen and pianist Declan Forde, performed in June at the Glasgow Jazz Festival.

American bassist Greg Cohen in an intimate duo set with pianist Declan Forde.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    To John Coltrane, Johnny Hodges (1907-70) was "the world's greatest saxophone player". Geoffrey Smith with highlights from a unique jazz career.

This is a repeat.

Geoffrey Smith picks some highlights from the career of Johnny Hodges.

Mon 7 Aug
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a Brighton concert by Brooklyn saxophone and drums trio Moon Hooch, featuring Mike Wilbur and Welzel McGowen on reeds and drummer James Muschler. Plus a set by Vels Trio, and Al Ryan has the latest from BBC Introducing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0902qrl
    Two tracks with Pete Jacobsen on JRR today which should cheer the author of these boards. And interesting to see that Johnny Keeting " Night Train " (Tubs el al) but with a rhythm section inc (Big) Jim Sullivan guitar and Reg Guest on piano. Reg G played on Billy Fury's "Sound of Fury" 10inch Decca LP, one of the only true Brit rockabilly records. Not many peopzes know zhis.

BN.

Musical history: Billy Fury once carried a tray of tea over to my mother on Great Yarmouth Pier c. 1959. She said he had lovely manners, "not like the others".

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Two tracks with Pete Jacobsen on JRR today which should cheer the author of these boards.
      You bet!!! The first is from one of my fave recordings - the Birds of Brazil thing Bobby composed after hearing of the plight of birds wrought by environmental degradation, particularly coastal pollution. Bobby was a great composer as well as player - when offered the opportunities (ie seldom). Hear an example of his phenomenal fluency at fast speed here too, not usually remarked on. Tony Coe did the exquisite string quartet + harp arrangements for this. English straight ahead modern jass at its best, pre-Brexit - I'm wellin' up as I listen to Kenny's trumpet here, really!. I think the Morrissey-Mullen year date on Alyn's blog must be wrong - 1985, perhaps?

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Oops, typo, sorry. Yes it was 1985. And I just looked up the date Morrissey-Mullen appeared at the Reading Festival (the days when it still featured jazz) when we played support to them with Sammy Rimington's band, and it was Sept 1978 - I was convinced it was far note recent than that! And, BN, Big Jim Sullivan backed Billy J Kramer on BBC TV while he was still officially with the Dakotas...I guess not many people know that either!

Comment

Working...
        X