The Long Tall Shorty and the Ehrlich bird on this week's bill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The Long Tall Shorty and the Ehrlich bird on this week's bill.

Sat 22 July
    5.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton's [sounds like the firm of jewellers!] introduces listeners' requests, including the West Coast sound of trumpeter Shorty Rogers and His Giants

6.00 Jazz Line-Up

Repeat of last autumn's Jan Garbarexit sesh.

Julian Joseph presents a performance by pioneering Norwegian saxophonist Jan Garbarek.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz

Charlie Christian - another repeat. Is it my imagination, or...???

Geoffrey Smith selects music by electric guitar great and bebop pioneer Charlie Christian.

Mon 24 July
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch introduces multi-instrumentalist Marty Ehrlich's current sextet in concert at the 2016 Saalfelden Jazz Festival. The line-up features Ehrlich himself on reeds, Jack Walrath on trumpet, trombonist Ray Anderson, pianist James Wiedman, bassist Brad Jones and drummer Ben Perowsky.

Jack Walrath was Mingus's last trumpet player, if I'm not mistaken, and may be remembered as having joined our very own Tim Richards's Spirit Level band in 1986 for a tour and to record the fine "Killer Bunnies" LP; Ray Anderson is the fabulous trombonist from out of Chicago. Perhaps others can tell us more about the rhythm section, but I imagine this will be as good as last week's Jazz Now turned out to be.

Also, members might like to have Tuesday night's Jamie Cullum at 7 pm on Radio 2 drawn to their attention, featuring as it does Ramsey Lewis discussing "...his formidable back catalogue, his early career and time he spent with Charles Stepney and Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire".
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 22-07-17, 18:03. Reason: link error
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I now see that the Lennie Tristano track "Lennie's Pennies", second on today's programme, had our very own Peter Ind on it, and was recorded as early as 1952. And there's me wrongly thinking that he either didn't join or record with Tristano until 1955. Peter is still going, you'll be pleased to learn, and is now 89 years young, so this could amount to a birthday celebration. No doubt we'll see!

People might like to listen out for the Evelyn Nallen track (track 10) - I have the CD and this was a very interesting group. I wonder what happened to Ms Nallen, of whom I have heard nothing since that date. Geri Allen is being commemorated with the final track, a solo version of a famous Advent hymn, "O Come O Come Emmanual" - played presumably not on a church organ but a piano which, unlike many organs, possesses only one (im)manual.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

By the way, did anybody notice that the intro to the Shorty track, with its chromatically ascending and descending chords with semitones, is the one Bill Evans always used in his intros to "Bye Bye Blackbird" during the time he was in Miles's band?

Comment

Working...
      X