Rebello with a Cause: attention all Herbievores!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Rebello with a Cause: attention all Herbievores!

Sat 15 July
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

This week's listener's selection includes American singer Maxine Sullivan (1911-87) accompanied by the John Kirby Sextet. Presented by Alyn Shipton.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph profiles the work of pioneering Chicago-born jazz, funk and electronic musician Herbie Hancock, with help from pianist Jason Rebello. Best known for his Grammy Award-winning 1983 instrumental single Rockit, Hancock has also collaborated with trumpeter Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, Joni Mitchell and the Headhunters.

This is a repeat.

Julian Joseph and pianist Jason Rebello profile the music of jazz pioneer Herbie Hancock.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    To mark the 50th anniversary of John Coltrane's death in July 1967, Geoffrey Smith plays live recordings by the tenor saxophonist legend, including an early session with Johnny Hodges and his seething, 16-minute epic Chasin' the Trane.

Er, 'Trane also was a soprano saxophonist legend; but never mind - time is money & all that.............

Geoffrey Smith introduces live recordings by tenor saxophone great John Coltrane.

Mon 17 July
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by the Chicago-based Tomeka Reid Quartet - Tomeka Reid (cello), Mary Halvorsen (guitar), Jason Roebke (bass) and Tomas Fujiwara (drums). They play music from last year's eponymous album on the Thirsty Ear label, including compositions by Reid as well as work by reed player Eric Dolphy.

This in my opinion is not to be missed.

Soweto Kinch introduces a concert given cellist Tomeka Reid and her improvising quartet.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 15 July
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

This week's listener's selection includes American singer Maxine Sullivan (1911-87) accompanied by the John Kirby Sextet. Presented by Alyn Shipton.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph profiles the work of pioneering Chicago-born jazz, funk and electronic musician Herbie Hancock, with help from pianist Jason Rebello. Best known for his Grammy Award-winning 1983 instrumental single Rockit, Hancock has also collaborated with trumpeter Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, Joni Mitchell and the Headhunters.

This is a repeat.

Julian Joseph and pianist Jason Rebello profile the music of jazz pioneer Herbie Hancock.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    To mark the 50th anniversary of John Coltrane's death in July 1967, Geoffrey Smith plays live recordings by the tenor saxophonist legend, including an early session with Johnny Hodges and his seething, 16-minute epic Chasin' the Trane.

Er, 'Trane also was a soprano saxophonist legend; but never mind - time is money & all that.............

Geoffrey Smith introduces live recordings by tenor saxophone great John Coltrane.

Mon 17 July
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by the Chicago-based Tomeka Reid Quartet - Tomeka Reid (cello), Mary Halvorsen (guitar), Jason Roebke (bass) and Tomas Fujiwara (drums). They play music from last year's eponymous album on the Thirsty Ear label, including compositions by Reid as well as work by reed player Eric Dolphy.

This in my opinion is not to be missed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xzlr7
    I will have to listen to this later in the week. This Tomeka Reid album is absolutely terrific and features four of the most creative musicians in todays scene in one group. Nice to see Jason Roebke's name come up as I keep thinking I am the only person who has ever heard of this bassist!

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Tomeka Reid Quartet - Tomeka Reid (cello), Mary Halvorsen (guitar), Jason Roebke (bass) and Tomas Fujiwara (drums).

This music has a timeless quality about it, that flows beyond category, genre or pigeon-hole.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

The Tomeka Reid gig was good and it is nice to find "Jazz Now" looking in to the current Chicago scene of which Reid is very much a rising star. I wasn't quite so sure with the interview in the between sets which was a bit lightweight and perhaps showed Reid to be far too pleasant to pass comment on the sometimes silly questions being asked. However, the music is the main thing and this edition showed that care and attention is being applied in chasing down musicians from a scene which , in my opinion, if the most vital in jazz at this point in time.

The whole ethos of the contemporary Chicago scene has much to be admired and I am finding that I am taking a punt on recordings by these musicians merely through their association with other musicians I like even if I know nothing about them, Fascinating to see where this lands you but so far I have discovered the likes of Reid, Mike Reed, Paul Giallorenzo , Keefe Jackso and dave McDonnell through this route. The Greg Ward album was another recent highlight and I see that there will be a new disc by Jason Stein with Keefe Jackson out in September which demonstrates that there is plenty of unfinished business after the 1960's Blue Notes by Hill, Hutcherson, etc.

There is another Reid quartet album called "Luz" which was made with Italian musicians but this is nowhere as near as good as the group featured on JN. If you follow the fortunes of the four musicians in the above quartet, you won't go wrong with Jason Roebke frequently being a gauge to rewarding and adventurous music. Ditto Frank Rosaly who must be the best drummer around at the moment no one has heard of. Shocked by the absence of attention amongst the jazz audience for this musician. All in all, the Chicago jazz scene passes what I would consider the "Jazzrook test for quality jazz" which is as good a place to start as any and there is a good deal of it that would encourage Bluesnik to dig into what is effectively a continuum of much of the stuff he enjoys too.

Comment

Working...
        X