Memories of the other Ted Heath, plus Parisien delights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Memories of the other Ted Heath, plus Parisien delights.

Sat 8 July
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton looks back at the work of the celebrated British bandleader Ted Heath, as he draws another selection of classic jazz compositions from listeners' requests.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Kevin Le Gendre presents performances by Saxophonist Tommy Smith and pianist Brian Kellock, recorded on 24 June on the Jazz Line-Up stage as part of the Glasgow Jazz Festival.

Kevin LeGendre presents saxophonist Tommy Smith and pianist Brian Kellock in concert.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith compares singers Anita O'Day (1919-2006) and June Christy (1925-90), who were viewed as queens of big band singing in the 1940s and 50s. Both starred alongside Gene Krupa and Stan Kenton before going solo.

Geoffrey Smith compares the styles and careers of singers Anita O'Day and June Christy.

Mon 10 July
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a concert by saxophonist Emile Parisien's quintet from the Saalfelden Jazz Festival in Austria,

Believe it or not, Emile comes from France!

Soweto Kinch presents a concert featuring French saxophonist Emile Parisien.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Something which slipped under the Radar: Monday night ~~ 9.30p.m:

01:57

Peter Edwards

Journey with the Giants of Jazz
    Conductor: Peter Edwards.

Recently discovered Monk recordings:

02:13

Thelonious Monk

Rhythm-a-Ning
    Performer: Thelonious Monk.
    Performer: Sam Jones.
    Performer: Art Taylor.
    Thelonious Monk: Les Liaisons Dangereuses.
    Sam Records.
    Thelonious Monk

Crepuscule with Nellie
    Sam Records.

02:24

Thelonious Monk

Light Blue
    Sam Records.

02:27

Charles Albert Lindley

'By and By' (We'll Understand it Better By and By)
    Music Arranger: Thelonious Monk.
    Sam Records.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

Peter Edwards

Thelonious Monk

Rhythm-a-Ning
      Sam Records.
      Thelonious Monk

Crepuscule with Nellie
      Sam Records.

Thelonious Monk

Light Blue
      Sam Records.

Charles Albert Lindley

Sam Records.
      ???

Not in my Radio Times!

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Peter Edwards

Thelonious Monk

Rhythm-a-Ning
        Sam Records.
        Thelonious Monk

Crepuscule with Nellie
        Sam Records.

Thelonious Monk

Light Blue
        Sam Records.

Charles Albert Lindley

Sam Records.
        Where did you hear this , Oddball?
        It was not on Radio 3 and couldn't see it listed elsewhere in the Radio Times.

JR

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Jazzrook -

It was something post-concert after Monday night's Harrogate concert:
          Radio 3 New Generation Artists at the 2017 Harrogate Music Festival: Mozart and Brahms.

Not advertised at all, but started 2 hours in after the concert finished.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Jazzrook -

It was something post-concert after Monday night's Harrogate concert:
            Radio 3 New Generation Artists at the 2017 Harrogate Music Festival: Mozart and Brahms.

Not advertised at all, but started 2 hours in after the concert finished.
            A-HA!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Jazz Now
              Also in tonight's show Soweto talks to legendary drummer Peter Erskine about the release of a newly discovered concert by bassist Jaco Pastorius and his "Word of Mouth" big band.
              Much enjoyed the interview with Peter Erskine - have just acquired the CD and interesting to hear some of the background.

OG

Comment

• Braunschlag
                • Jul 2017

That 'new' Word of Mouth double CD set is a belter! Worth it for the booklet alone and in glorious sound, you really are in that room.
                It's been around in various truncated forms over the years but this is the real deal. I'd rate it as the finest live document of the band, fantastic album.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                  That 'new' Word of Mouth double CD set is a belter! Worth it for the booklet alone and in glorious sound, you really are in that room.
                  It's been around in various truncated forms over the years but this is the real deal. I'd rate it as the finest live document of the band, fantastic album.
                  Thanks Braunschlag for letting us know. And welcome to the "Jazz Bored". A fine album to get around to. The late Mike Garrick told how when Jaco was here he asked him about his favourite bass players, to which Jaco replied, "There are no other bass players"!

Comment

• Braunschlag
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Thanks Braunschlag for letting us know. And welcome to the "Jazz Bored". A fine album to get around to. The late Mike Garrick told how when Jaco was here he asked him about his favourite bass players, to which Jaco replied, "There are no other bass players"!
                    I think he was correct!
                    I first heard part of this new release as a Radio 3 broadcast years ago, I vividly remember holding an improvised FM airiel to get a decent signal

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Braunschlag

I can remember back in the late 1980's hearing Max Roach talk in a interview on BBC that he felt that Jaco was a vacuous musician and then went on to suggest that the Rap scene which was burgeoning at the time had a lot in common with Be-bop. Getting in to jazz in the 1980s, I was dissuaded by the appear of Jaco / Weather Report / Word of Mouth as this music was deeply unfashionable at the time yet I still quite likes some of Weather Report's music. Nowadays, it doesn't sound at all revolutionary and you can see Roach's point about Jaco being a technical wizard yet not really getting jazz. Roach didn't consider him to be a jazz musician. I wish I could remember more about the interview. At the time, it seemed quite salient to draw parallels between Bop and Rap yet the slagging off of Jaco seemed a bit perverse.

With hindsight, you can hear just how Weather Report really pushed the doors open regarding the kinds of music than could influence jazz and ultimately Zawinul went too far in my opinion ending up fronting an kind of electronic World music group which must have had the young founder of the ACT label Siggi Loch purring at the time.

In 2017 "Word of Mouth" seems to be ensconced firmly in the jazz camp and I don't mind their records. However, I love Peter Erskine's drumming most of all when he was a member of John Abercrombie's trio that also included the bassist Marc Johnson. This was one of the great bands of the 1980's and made some very good records that play the jazz card with more integrity than with Weather Report who were not always tasteful. An album like "Current Events" is amazingly enjoyable and stuffed with catchy tunes like "Clint" and I thoroughly recommend that you try to seek out a copy. (The closing bars might give you a clue as to who the piece was dedicated to.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        (The closing bars might give you a clue as to who the piece was dedicated to.)
                        Don Cherry? That piping little pentatonic ditty sounds very like one of his tunes for Codona, though I can't recall which one.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Don Cherry? That piping little pentatonic ditty sounds very like one of his tunes for Codona, though I can't recall which one.
                          Nope

Surely the title was an adequate clue:-

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Nope

Surely the title was an adequate clue:-

Ah... ha ha ha haaa

Haa haaa haaaaa!

Comment

• Braunschlag
                              • Jul 2017

Braunschlag

I can remember back in the late 1980's hearing Max Roach talk in a interview on BBC that he felt that Jaco was a vacuous musician and then went on to suggest that the Rap scene which was burgeoning at the time had a lot in common with Be-bop. Getting in to jazz in the 1980s, I was dissuaded by the appear of Jaco / Weather Report / Word of Mouth as this music was deeply unfashionable at the time yet I still quite likes some of Weather Report's music. Nowadays, it doesn't sound at all revolutionary and you can see Roach's point about Jaco being a technical wizard yet not really getting jazz. Roach didn't consider him to be a jazz musician. I wish I could remember more about the interview. At the time, it seemed quite salient to draw parallels between Bop and Rap yet the slagging off of Jaco seemed a bit perverse.

With hindsight, you can hear just how Weather Report really pushed the doors open regarding the kinds of music than could influence jazz and ultimately Zawinul went too far in my opinion ending up fronting an kind of electronic World music group which must have had the young founder of the ACT label Siggi Loch purring at the time.

In 2017 "Word of Mouth" seems to be ensconced firmly in the jazz camp and I don't mind their records. However, I love Peter Erskine's drumming most of all when he was a member of John Abercrombie's trio that also included the bassist Marc Johnson. This was one of the great bands of the 1980's and made some very good records that play the jazz card with more integrity than with Weather Report who were not always tasteful. An album like "Current Events" is amazingly enjoyable and stuffed with catchy tunes like "Clint" and I thoroughly recommend that you try to seek out a copy. (The closing bars might give you a clue as to who the piece was dedicated to.)

Sound thinking Ian. Perhaps there is some merit in considering Jaco as a bass player first and foremost without the need for genre labels. That said, he could pop off some pretty impressive walking bass lines (Donna Lee) but he'd decorate them in his own inimitable way with all those added harmonics and tricks. I came to him late, after he'd died but I was pretty smitten by the way he used the instrument and learnt much from watching the late video he made with Jerry Jemmot, showing almost everything he knew, not for a novice player!
                              Not all of his output was consistent, as, I think, even his most ardent fan would have to admit, that goes for most musicians though. Weather Report certainly caught my ear later but Zawinul was very much a shape-shifter and I wasn't that taken by his later material.
                              Nevertheless, whether or not Jaco was a jazz player or not he certainly knew a four string bass better than anyone. And he was versatile, a decent composer who could get around some interesting harmonic ideas and, with some help, come up with some colourful scores for W of M Band.
                              I'd certainly concur that Erskine was much sought after and rightly so.

Comment

Working...
                              X