• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Tubby Hayes

I heard his Mexican Green album playing in Fopp in Cambridge Circus yesterday. Very impressed but didn't buy (had already bought enough for one day!)

Didn't think I'd heard of him before but I knew his work - he leads the brass section on the fade-out of Old Songs New Songs on Family's seminal 1968 debut album Music In A Doll's House.

For those who know - what are his most recommendable albums?
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

these seem to be available 2nd hand - worth hearing

http://mixi.jp/show_friend.pl?id=3187823マイミク募集中♪

Comment

• Rcartes
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      I heard his Mexican Green album playing in Fopp in Cambridge Circus yesterday. Very impressed but didn't buy (had already bought enough for one day!)

Didn't think I'd heard of him before but I knew his work - he leads the brass section on the fade-out of Old Songs New Songs on Family's seminal 1968 debut album Music In A Doll's House.

For those who know - what are his most recommendable albums?
      A real bargain is the 7 Classic Albums Box set under GBP8. It includes two albums by the Couriers (Tubby's quintet with Ronnie Scott)

And The Little Giant 4-CD box set which is also very cheap. There's a detailed track listing here.

But whatever, at these prices, you can't go wrong.

PS: One of my all-time favourite Tubby tracks is the big band version of In the Night from a 1964 Jazz 625 show on the BBC, available on YouTube: Tubby plays flute on this track, and it also features his long-time pianist, the excellent Terry Shannon. It's just lovely!

Actually the whole session can be heard (and seen!) in sequence, with intros by Humphrey Lyttelton, here:

1. Intro and Parisian Thoroughfare
      2. In the Night
      3. Suddenly Last Tuesday
      4. Young and Foolish
      5. Blues for Bloody Morag
      6. Killers of W1 and finale

PS: Thanks to the admirable Library of Congress, the full personnel of the Jazz 625 broadcast is as follows:

The Tubby Hayes Big Band:- Jimmy Deuchar, trumpet, mellophone; Ian Hamer, Les Condon, trumpet; Tubby Hayes, tenor sax, flute, vibraphone; Pete King, Bobby Wellins, Ronnie Ross, Jackie Sharpe, reeds; Keith Christie, Ken Wray, trombone; Terry Shannon, piano; Freddy Logan, acoustic double bass; Allan Ganley, drums. Intros by Humphrey Lyttelton.
      Last edited by Rcartes; 21-07-17, 17:04. Reason: Added a PS and full personnel of the big band broadcast

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

I went to to the Bull in Barnes as a teenager in the 60s and heard Tubby play. How I got to be there I'm not sure but I can remember sitting on the floor in the pub. I wasn't especially into jazz but had heard of him because my elder sister was very much into it, going often to the 100 Club and she must have had an LP or two.

Comment

Working...
        X