• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Smithsonian Anthology Tracks

Alyn Shipton contributed to the selection panel for this monster xmas pressy ... discussed on Jon3 last Monday

Here is the full track listing and you can play bits to ... handy for a quick survey of the history of the art ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Very little what I would call free jazz in that selection, but one supposes that is to be expected. Clever inclusion of Maple Leaf Rag from 3 different period perspectives, though. And I was rather flattered to find so many tracks as being ones I selected from my collection for inclusion on 2 cassettes I made for a similar exercise 25 years ago or so.

Well, not similar really - just to try to impress a work colleague - female - and fail.

S-A

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I am a fan of Smithsonian. This clip doesn't belong here but it is one of my favourites - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgsDoxw85-4. So I find the news of the anthology interesting and will investigate further!
      Last edited by Guest; 10-06-11, 16:27.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

These kind of selections are fun but it is difficult to see all this music appealing to everyone - albeit most of the selection would interest me even if I would have to give the Braxton a miss.

Incidentally, this thread wasn't what I was expecting as I thought that it would be to do with the discovery of the braodcast material from the late 30's that received a lot of attention in the media about 12 months ago. I haven't hread anything about this since but can't wait to find out when that stuff becomes commercially available.

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

No Dolphy (Boo!) Odd Braxton Choice. His 70s band with Kenny Wheeler should have been there for a more jazzy sound, or the 80s band with Marylin Crispell which is more improv.

Comment

Working...
          X