X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arthroceph
    • Oct 2012

melancholy in jazz

Excuse me if I'm not very enlightened on the Jazz front, and maybe ask for something not appropriate.

I was looking for recordings of improvisations of a melancholic nature.

Now there are standards with melancholic melodies, though often I find they're rendered in many different interesting ways, sure .. but often too upbeat for my ears.

It's possible of course, that only some bits are melancholic. For example in the way the Theme and Variations format might have some melancholic and then happy parts.

Just wondering if anybody might have jazz pieces of this sentiment to suggest for me?
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Bluette, the second track on Time Further Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It's an uneven album to say the least, but this is one of the best tracks.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

How about this, arthroceph:

''Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, t...

JR

Comment

• arthroceph
        • Oct 2012

thanks rauschwerk and Jazzrook for those suggestions.

I think I can berate myself now, got caught in a mental funnel of some sort ... I forgot about the whole blues connection and now quite a few pieces are coming to mind ... I think I got caught chasing up some sad melodies and seeing how they can be turned upside down when improvised upon, which I suppose is the whole point. I know where to go now, thanks!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Probably the easier place to find melancholy jazz music is on the ECM label which is not exactly known for it's levity. You can probably discover something to your taste quite swiftly because of the availability of samples on line and the lack of variance that this label puts out. The Thomasz Stnko recordings of the early 1990s are particularly good in this respect.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Q: What do you call stomach pains from eating too much melon?
            A: Melon colic.

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by arthroceph View Post
              Excuse me if I'm not very enlightened on the Jazz front, and maybe ask for something not appropriate.

I was looking for recordings of improvisations of a melancholic nature.
              Got me thinking, within my limited capabilities.

Of course any music based on the blues has a melancholic component, by definition.

The immediate musician to come to mind is Charlie Parker. I find his his improvisations are through and through melancholic or just plain bluesy. May be that's why I didn't immediately gell with him in my youth:

Here's Pahka playin' those blues. I don't own any music or photos. Enjoy the great bird as he lives on!!

To compare with Johnny Hodges:
              recorder early june 1952 at radio records, hollywood. original lp issue; jam session # 2charlie parker (as)charlie Shavers (t)benny carter, hodges (as)flip p...
              Last edited by Quarky; 16-06-17, 17:47. Reason: still thinking

Comment

Working...
              X