• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

In the footsteps of the Herd

Sat 10 June
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Music by American saxophonist Charles Lloyd - still performing at 79 - features among this week's listener requests as Alyn Shipton showcases more celebrated jazz hits

No Jazz Line-Up this week - take your Mastersingers medecine like good children and don't complain now, it's better for you than jazz.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith surveys the tumultuous career and fiery music of baritone sax player Serge Chaloff (1923-57)

Geoffrey Smith surveys the life and music of virtuosic baritone saxophonist Serge Chaloff.

Note that Moira Stuart's final thirteenth programme of her current series on Radio 2 this coming Sunday at 11 pm includes tracks by June Christy, Carmen McRae, Louis Armstrong, and Tony Bennett's 1963 Grammy-nominated "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" - ie marginally a more jazzy selection than she usually goes for. She's back in September, it says.

Mon 12 June
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents Norwegian band Gard Nilssen's Acoustic Unity in concert at the Vortex, London, featuring Gard Nilssen on drums, André Roligheten on saxophone and Petter Eidh on bass.

Mr Eidh was on last week's, I thought, excellent programme.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

JRR playlist will be up tomorrow on my site...been travelling.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
      JRR playlist will be up tomorrow on my site...been travelling.
      Thanks Alyn

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

For me today's unlikeliest track was the Edmond Hall with Charlie Christian and Meade Lux Lewis - of all people - sweetly playing the celesta. This should surely go down among the most improbable combinations ever recorded in jazz? Pretext for a thread of its own, p'raps.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Serge Chaloff.

Some of the most enjoyable Jazz I have heard from Radio 3. Really rang some bells with me.

But what is the point of washing dirty linen in public, GS?? Serge was a very naughty lad, and ultimately, this turns me away from Jazz.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

I was sorry GS did not include anything by the Basie Octet with Clark Terry, Buddy DeFranco, Wardell - and most famously (as he paid Gus Johnson not to play on the date) Buddy Rich.

Comment

Working...
            X