• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Free posthumous May BrexKit offer: pack up your troubles. 1 Dollar

Sat 3 June
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with a broad speculum of requests, today including music by the Montgomery Brothers - Wes, Monk and Buddy.*

*Spot the deliberate typo.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Kevin Le Gendre celebrates the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, released 50 years ago, with music from the album reimagined by pianist/composer Django Bates and the Frankfurt Radio Big Band.

Some have tried, most have failed. But is our Django the man to succeed?

Kevin LeGendre presents Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band re-imagined by Django Bates.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    One-time protege of Duke Ellington and icon of South African jazz, Abdullah Ibrahim has been a global star for more than half a century. Geoffrey Smith celebrates his career.

And an excellent brand too, if I may say so. **

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the career of pianist and composer Abdullah Ibrahim.

**Spot the deliberate pun.

Mon 5 June
    11.00 Jazz Now

Presented by Soweto Kinch. A concert from London's Vortex Jazz Club by Enemy, a trio featuring pianist Kit Downes, bassist Petter Eidh and drummer James Maddren.

With pianist Kit Downes and his trio Enemy in concert at the Vortex jazz club in London.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Actually, those poor Montgomeries have slid a week or two down the schedule, so they aren't actually appearing in tomorrow's show...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

A bit like Theresa May , then?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        A bit like Theresa May , then?

You'll get us abolished by the "silent majority", Ian.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

You'll get us abolished by the "silent majority", Ian.
          SA

I don't think that he is in the minority. A said on another website a few weeks ago that he would win this election and was ridiculed. Now everyone else on posting on there at least feels there will be a hung parliament.

Intrigued to see that Thundercat is on JRR as a sideman on the Kamasi Washington track. I keep on hearing his name and there was an article about him in the Q magazine yesterday when I was having my hair cut. I have had never heard of him before but his inclusion is suggestive that some younger people are now requesting tracks on this programme.

Anyone else find this album cover disturbing?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

SA

I don't think that he is in the minority. A said on another website a few weeks ago that he would win this election and was ridiculed. Now everyone else on posting on there at least feels there will be a hung parliament.

Intrigued to see that Thundercat is on JRR as a sideman on the Kamasi Washington track. I keep on hearing his name and there was an article about him in the Q magazine yesterday when I was having my hair cut. I have had never heard of him before but his inclusion is suggestive that some younger people are now requesting tracks on this programme.

Anyone else find this album cover disturbing?

More disturbed if this is the kind of track now being vetted onto JRR, as to these ears it sounds very Radio 2 1980s mainstream soul/funk. Which I quite like, in small doses, as it can come across a bit samey, but broadcast whence it belongs.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

I had only just come to terms with Danger Mouse and am struggling a bit with the idea of ThunderCut.

The music is not my cup of tea and a bit bland to be honest. Still, just been listening on line to the new Chris Potter quartet on YouTube and found that a bit bland too - if it was a blindfold test, you would probably have said it was a disinterested Mike Brecker. I am a bit ambivalent about Potter as he can be great but I struggle to identify him as he always seems to sound like a different personality depending upon the context in which he is recording.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I had only just come to terms with Danger Mouse and am struggling a bit with the idea of ThunderCut.

The music is not my cup of tea and a bit bland to be honest. Still, just been listening on line to the new Chris Potter quartet on YouTube and found that a bit bland too - if it was a blindfold test, you would probably have said it was a disinterested Mike Brecker. I am a bit ambivalent about Potter as he can be great but I struggle to identify him as he always seems to sound like a different personality depending upon the context in which he is recording.

Chris Potter did some performing with Kenny Wheeler towards the end, and I was quite surprised to hear our very own Stan Sulzmann singing Potter's praises in a break during one of Stan's gigs, as I hold Stan's playing in much greater esteem than the American's, as I think would many. I guess it's part explained by Stan's warm and generous nature, and in part that he would never question Kenny's choice of whom he worked with.

(I also very much agree btw with what you wrote about the later Ellington elsewhere).

Comment

• greenilex
                  • Nov 2010

Please please don't let the polls rumours stop you voting...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                    Please please don't let the polls rumours stop you voting...

In my case, no need to worry. One just hopes the under 30s come out in their zillions.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

SA

I think that Potter has fantastic technique and I have a good few records where he makes a vital contribution. The stuff he produced with Dave Holland in the 2000's was terrific and I am sure that stan Sulzman is not the only one to be highly impressed. I would tend to disagree with your ranking although I like Sulzman. Potter is far more assured. My problem is that I find him indistinguishable from so many other players and the move to ECM always seems to be detrimental as Eicher continually eviscerates the music with his production. Eicher is more interested in the sound of his recordings than he is in ensuring that the records he puts out have any real bite.

However, the issue that is difficult for me to overcome is that he does not have a distinct style. It is funny how so many lauded post-Brecker tenor players are technically assured but lacking in identity. The best example is Joshua Redman who is pretty anodyne unless pushed to extremes such as with the trio he led a few years back. I have seen his be both exciting and dull in differing contexts. At the moment the tenor player get the most attention is Donny McCaslin and his work in the 2000's showed great promise but the recent stuff with Guiliana is unlistenable - cold, technical playing with square drumming and uninteresting.

I quite like Keefe Jackson's playing as he has looked to return the music to the more earthy roots of Albert Ayler but, if you want to plump for someone in the mainstream, I always think that Branford Marsalis plays with far more - intensity and vigor than most of his intensity. However, I would have to say that I find many alto players to be more interesting than the contemporary tenor players. Listening to some Steve Coleman this afternoon and he is a player who recognise from the first note.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                        • Mar 2011

In my case, no need to worry. One just hopes the under 30s come out in their zillions.
                        I think it's admirable how Corbyn has withstood the unrelenting hostility of the media. Any other politician would have crumbled under the pressure.
                        With the polls narrowing, hopefully, the Tories will be in for a nasty shock on June 8.

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Sat 3 June
                          4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton with a broad speculum of requests, today including music by the Montgomery Brothers - Wes, Monk and Buddy.*

*Spot the deliberate typo.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
                          Kevin Le Gendre celebrates the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, released 50 years ago, with music from the album reimagined by pianist/composer Django Bates and the Frankfurt Radio Big Band.

Kevin LeGendre presents Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band re-imagined by Django Bates.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
                          One-time protege of Duke Ellington and icon of South African jazz, Abdullah Ibrahim has been a global star for more than half a century. Geoffrey Smith celebrates his career.

And an excellent brand too, if I may say so. **

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the career of pianist and composer Abdullah Ibrahim.

**Spot the deliberate pun.

Mon 5 June
                          11.00 Jazz Now

Presented by Soweto Kinch. A concert from London's Vortex Jazz Club by Enemy, a trio featuring pianist Kit Downes, bassist Petter Eidh and drummer James Maddren.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08slrcn
                          Just noticed, Roscoe Mitchell is on 'Hear and Now' tonight(Radio 3, 10pm) with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra!

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                            Just noticed, Roscoe Mitchell is on 'Hear and Now' tonight(Radio 3, 10pm) with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra!

JR
                            Thanks for that prompt, JR. I also forgot to draw attention to a performance of John Dankworth's Clarinet Concerto by Emma Johnson with the BBCCO next Tuesday at 4 pm. I well remember Ms Johnson winning the Young Musician of the Year with a clarinet concerto by Crusell, iirc, and almost willing her to take up jazz. I know absolutely nothing about this piece.

Also, next Thursday sees the repeat of Soweto Kinch in interview on One to One on Radio 4 at 1.45 pm, in which he recalled his inner city upbringing and being sent to a private school, with all the contradictions as an Afro-Caribbean descendant he experienced as a consequence. It was pretty good, I remember.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

[

5.00 Jazz Line-Up

He succeeded with me . Never a huge fan of this album, but I liked Django's description of it as an album with a Blue Plaque on it - certainly of historical interest.

Django's reworking of it certainly showed some aspects of the music that had not been apparent previously.

I'm happy to give KLG some rope to explore these non-Jazz issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X