• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Not that Bernstein...

Sat 27 May
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Two sides of the tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins are on show in this week's selection from listeners' requests. Presented by Alyn Shipton.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Kevin Le Gendre introduces a concert performance by Cuban pianist Alfredo Rodriguez and his trio, recorded in early April at the Gateshead International Jazz Festival. Rodriguez is joined by bassist Munir Hossn and drummer Michael Olivera. Plus an interview with Peter Bernstein, son of Hollywood composer Elmer Bernstein, ahead of a major retrospective of his father's music at the Royal Albert Hall, London.

Kevin LeGendre presents Cuban pianist Alfredo Rodriguez at 2017's Gateshead Jazz Festival.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith showcases composer and band leader Duke Ellington's skills as an accompanist.

Geoffrey Smith celebrates composer and pianist Duke Ellington's work as an accompanist.

Mon 29 May
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents a set by American saxophonist Logan Richardson and his quintet recorded at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival.

Soweto Kinch presents a set by Logan Richardson from the 2017 Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

I caught a good deal of the Logan Richardson whilst working at home for a bit last week and was hugely impressed. I have seen Richardson perform with Nasheet Waits, Tarus Mateen and Stanley Cowell several years back and thought he was pretty useful back then. The concert sounded really impressive although the interview tended to wonder into Courtney Pine-ish pseudo intellectual territory. I believe Richardson comes from Kansas City and now reside in Paris. He is certainly a name that deserves to be wider known and it was good to hear "Jazz Now" presenting something that was not too modish and right on the money. Sometimes you get the feeling that the groups that try to be different get more attention that those that stick to a more resolute agenda. The Richardson set seemed to reaffirm my perception that jazz is far better when it remains itself as opposed to being something different.

Comment

Working...
    X