Now that Monteverdi, he pioneered Baroque 'n' Roll, man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Come on Oddball, keep up - we broadcast the story of London Vocal Project and Jon Hendricks prior to this month's King's Place concert on Jazz Now two weeks ago! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ndxgc

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        Come on Oddball, keep up - we broadcast the story of London Vocal Project and Jon Hendricks prior to this month's King's Place concert on Jazz Now two weeks ago! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ndxgc
        Apologies Alyn .

No intention to slight your excellent programme. I did hear the London Vocal Project feature. Unfortunately the Kings Place performance was a sell-out, but I may purchase the CD/ download when available.

Sing a Song of Basie was absolutely key to the development of my interest in Jazz. Jon Hendricks is an extremely clever lyrics writer. The lyrics in One O'Clock Jump summed up my feelings about Jazz (wish I could find a transcription somewhere) ...... feet so busy, I get dizzy, all that feeling got me reeling......

Comment

• Flyposter
          • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Oddball;620918]There IS a connection between Monteverdi and Jazz - Ground Bass and Bass Riff - see Donald Mcleod, last 10 minutes of today's (Thursday) COTW.

Must say I am hugely enjoying Monteverdi this week. Not just a writer of religious works, but his music very pleasant on the ear.

May I bring to our attention a CD by the Swiss trombonist Samuel Blaser “Consort in Motion” which consists mostly of transcriptions of Montiverdi’s music.
          Rhythm section of Russ Lossing/Thomas Morgan/Paul Motian. Must be one of Paul Motian’s last recordings.
          I saw the quartet in the Netherlands soon after Paul’s death, with Gerry Hemingway on drums. I remember having a track played on JRR when Mr Shipton requested suggestions for a baroque programme.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Many thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
            X