• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Big Ben gets clocked, then it's all Full Steam Ahead

Sat 6 May
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

In this week's pick of requests in all styles and periods of jazz, Alyn Shipton includes a long-lost track by tenor saxophonist Ben Webster recorded in London.

I bet our Stan was on joanna...

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith celebrates the music of composer, arranger and band leader Fletcher Henderson (1897-1952), hailed as the godfather of big band jazz. Henderson's work set the pace of jazz throughout the 1920s and 30s, inspiring the likes of Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman.

This looks to be a fresh programme. Ian must be salivating!

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the work of composer, arranger and bandleader Fletcher Henderson

Mon 8 May
    11.00 Jazz Now

Soweto Kinch presents Phronesis (Jasper Hoiby, bass, Anton Eger, drums and Ivo Neame, piano) and the Engines Orchestra, playing a new commission from composer Dave Maric at the Cheltenham Festival.

I saw the Englnes Orchestra a couple of years ago, maybe, and they were very good. Phronesis always delivers, British nu jazz detractors please note, and ime just get better and better, so this one is well worth toonin' in for.

Soweto Kinch presents Phronesis and the Engines Orchestra in concert in Cheltenham.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Not our Stan but Alan Haven... playlist will be a little late this week but ought to be there tomorrow at latest! Might be on R3 site but haven't checked yet...my blog update tomorrow.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Thanks Alyn.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Now posted.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I almost expected a stripper to emerge out of my speakers as the Allan Holdsworth track started! One of the best JRRs for some time - I can prematurely declare, already having the barnstorming Don Weller 12-bar in my possession. Not having seen or heard anything of Don for some time, I knew his ticker hadn't been too good.

Well done, requesters!

Comment

• Rcartes
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I almost expected a stripper to emerge out of my speakers as the Allan Holdsworth track started! One of the best JRRs for some time - I can prematurely declare, already having the barnstorming Don Weller 12-bar in my possession. Not having seen or heard anything of Don for some time, I knew his ticker hadn't been too good.

Well done, requesters!
              On the whole, I thought it was a bit of a mixed set. The Ben Webster especially was a very nice discovery, but the Clyde Valley Stumblers were predictably dire and the Alan Holdsworth, dreary rock with little or no jazz interest.

And the Louie Bellson! Drum solos are usually the time for me to go out to make a cup of tea and this was no exception. I thought it was terrible! I remember it from when it was first issued: once heard, never (unfortunately) forgotten.

Comment

Working...
              X