X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Most of the, for me, greatest rhythm sections consist of those which have built on that one. For me it's difficult to see how jazz standards can be played by ignoring what that particular grouping achieved and yet having something new to add. One runs the "risk" of moving beyond what some will see as a threshold defining the limitations of "jazz", though usually, ime, finding it difficult to specify precisely where the break comes for them - but I think that's more a case of the artist being not ahead of his or her time, but of most people being behind theirs, as it has been succintly put.
    I think they opened up so many possibilities whose implications are still sinking in, for people in all walks of musical life - plus of course if you try to say what's jazz and what isn't you end up more or less building a wall around it, which is always a bad idea. The music should go where it needs to go, which is exactly the lesson of Miles' second quintet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      I think they opened up so many possibilities whose implications are still sinking in, for people in all walks of musical life - plus of course if you try to say what's jazz and what isn't you end up more or less building a wall around it, which is always a bad idea. The music should go where it needs to go, which is exactly the lesson of Miles' second quintet.
      Well put.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Just listening to Shostakovich's Jazz Album.

Didn't anyone tell him he really ought to have had a rhythm section?

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
          Just listening to Shostakovich's Jazz Album.

Didn't anyone tell him he really ought to have had a rhythm section?
          Doesn't have as good bass-lines as Prokofiev.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Doesn't have as good bass-lines as Prokofiev.
            Listening to Martinu - La Jazz - at least he employed banjo/ Ukelele .

Getting back to the subject, spare a thought for Ellington/ Mingus/ Roach of Money Jungle fame.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Getting back to the subject, spare a thought for Ellington/ Mingus/ Roach of Money Jungle fame.
              This is a great album and re-casts Ellington in a different light as a pianist. The title track which opens the record remains a mystery as it is quite clear that Mingus was trying to sabotage the performance. In the end he continues to obstinately play a figure on the bass which doesn't match the changing harmony but acts as an ill-conceived pedal. Ellington must have been furious but luckily the rest of the performances including the unreleased tracks do work.

I found this interview about bass players to be quite eye-opening although Ben Allison will probably want to look away!

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

" luckily the rest of the performances including the unreleased tracks do work. "

Yes, I can see there are various issues of this album. I have the original vinyl LP. But I was quite impressed by Backward Country Boy Blues, which was not in the original release.

Comment

• Braunschlag
                  • Jul 2017

Art Tatum's left hand...

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Instruments of true gravitas?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Maybe two of these folks?

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

That is amazing!

Comment

Working...
                        X