• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

This week offers affjordable Garbarek, while Clayton bucks the mainstream

Sat 29 Apr
    12.15 pm Music Matters

Includes an interview with Daryl Runswick, dscribed as composer, arranger and producer, but whom jazz afficionados of a certain age will remember as a gifted and versatile bass player, one of the few figures anywhere to have worked with both John Cage and Ornette Coleman, and the choice of John Dankworth and Cleo Laine for some 13 years until son Alec took over in 1983. These facets of his remarkable 50 + years long musical career might just get a mention, for the latter also includes work with the Kings Singers and singer-songwriter Pete Atkin ("Beware the Beautiful Stranger"), Daryl celebrates his 70 years on this earth with a celebratory concert at London's prestigious Cadogan Hall on June 6th with a couple of new CD releases, one of some of his compositions in the classical genre, the other jazz recordings he made between the late 1960s and early 1980s, which I'll give more details of when I get them.

4.00 Jazz Record Requests
    In this week's pick of requests in all styles and periods of jazz, Alyn Shipton plays music by the Modern Jazz Quartet, featuring the writing and piano playing of John Lewis.

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph talks to celebrated Norwegian saxophonist Jan Garbarek and introduces a performance by him featuring Indian percussionist Trilok Gurtu, recorded at the 2016 London Jazz Festival. Garbarek discusses his early experiments, working with pianist Keith Jarrett, and his relationship with composer George Russell who once described Garbarek as "the most original voice in European jazz since Django Reinhardt".

An interview with saxophonist Jan Garbarek as well as a performance by him and his group.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    The career of jazz trumpeter, composer and arranger Buck Clayton, who was a leading member of Count Basie's "Old Testament" orchestra and a leader of mainstream-oriented jam session recordings in the 1950s.

Geoffrey Smith surveys the career of longtime Count Basie trumpeter Buck Clayton.

Mon 1 May
    11.00 Jazz Now
    Soweto Kinch presents a set from London's Café Oto by saxophonist Trevor Watts, while Pete Churchill talks about the European premiere of Jon Hendricks's Miles Ahead - a vocal project based on Miles Davis and Gil Evans's seminal big band album.

I was there at the Oto for this last Sunday, and a pretty intense experience it was, a long way from any jazz vernacular in my estimation, but not one as a jazzer I would have missed. Trevor may be well into his 70s now but as usual shows no signs of flagging in the energy department - this was as strong as anything you'd hear from say Marshall Allen or Oliver Lake, with great support coming from the two string players and his old pal Veryan Weston on piano.

Soweto Kinch introduces Dialogues with Strings, featuring the Trevor Watts Quartet.

Which just leaves mention of Ella Fitzgerald's the First Lady of Song part 2 of the 2 on Tuesday at 10 pm on R2, and Part 2 of the 4-part At Home with Gregory Porter the following night on R2 at 10 pm.
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Comprehensive summary of what's in store, as ever, S_A

Thanks

*Left handed beer glass comes out as ale; right handed beer glass comes out as ela - something sinister going on here methinks.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Just stopped myself in time from amending the thread title typo
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Just stopped myself in time from amending the thread title typo

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

A couple of friends are off to Cheltenham this weekend to hear Seb Roachford perform with the great Nicole Mitchell. I looked on the Cheltenham website and could not find a reference to this set but was shocked to see how this festival has mutated into a pop festival. the gigs have been collated by Jamie Cullum bit I see Radio One's Joe Whiley is also associated with this festival now. The line up staggered me as I had not heard of many of the artists and there seemed to be only a handful of sets that I would have been interested to have caught live. Other than Chick Corea, Lionel, Loueke, France-based altoist Logan Richardson, Gregory Porter and perhaps Chris Potter (technically brilliant but a soloist I find difficult to pick out in a crowd even though he has played in some of my favourite bands. I often wonder if many fans could pick him out in a blindfold test) there is more reason to go to hear blues artists like Eric Bibb and Robert Cray. No big bands or avant garde jazz on the website. (Can't find the Mitchell gig either - perhaps the band has a funny name.) The line up is almost as uninspiring as Claude Puel's Southampton.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Some fascinating choices on today's JRR, I see:

Ella singing "Tenderly" with Satchmo - hadn't realised they'd recorded that number as a vocal twosome (3); Chuck Berry with an unlikely backing unit doing his "Sweet Little Sixteen" in '58 (4); The Duke playing his "Moon landing" on celesta (5); Benny Carter and Earl Hines backed up by two top moderns, showing that that sort of scenario wasn't just peculiar to here at that time when personalities risked their reputed categorical boundaries in order to stay in the bigger limelight (6); Tim Garland, one of the finest saxists of that generation imo, with his new band with guitarist Ant Law, (8); and a Ken Colyer line-up I would otherwise nip along to the loo to miss were it not for Alexis Korner being in that 1954 line-up (10).

Comment

Working...
            X