X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CGR
    • Aug 2016

The Guardian and Jazz

Not so long ago the Guardian used to review Jazz releases and concerts on a reasonably regular basis. Over the past couple of months this has dried up to almost nothing and the pages devoted to Jazz on the Guardian website are no longer linked to from the main Culture / Music page. You used to be able to link to the Jazz page by clicking the link button at the bottom but now even that has gone.

More generally there seems to have been a shift to a mindless celebrity based, dumbed-down, approach in the Guardian's Arts coverage.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by CGR View Post
    More generally there seems to have been a shift to a mindless celebrity based, dumbed-down, approach in the Guardian's Arts coverage.
    Don't get me started.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I must remember to ask John Fordham how he now earns his income, when next I see him...

Comment

• CGR
        • Aug 2016

The webpage still exists and has a review from the other day, 23rd April, but there is no way of getting to it from the Guardian's Culture/Music page.

See: https://www.theguardian.com/music/jazz

The Blues page is also still there with the J Geils obituary from the 12th April, but again there is no way fo linking to it from the Culture/Music page.

See: https://www.theguardian.com/music/blues

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Thanks for going to the trouble, CGR. I can add those to the little list of naughty websites I keep in a little notebook hidden away.

Comment

• CGR
            • Aug 2016

For your information. I emailed the Guardian and got this reply.

"The music front does not link through to any specific genres of music. These are all simply tag pages that can be searched for on the site and are linked to from stories with those tags.
            In the meantime, I have forwarded your comments on to site editors. Feedback is appreciated and will be taken into account. If the editors have any questions, they will contact you directly."

So it is a policy change. The pages that were accessable through a button at the bottom of the Culture/Music webpage are now only available through a search.

Yep. More dumbing-down of the Guardian's arts coverage.

Comment

Working...
            X