X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Reconsidering Miles Davis "Birth of the cool"

I hadn't listened to the famous Miles Davis "Birth of the cool" session for a very long while, it being one of those records I thought I was so familiar with that it hasn't had a spin for some time. It was whilst I was at college that I read an article in a book about these records that made me eager to listen to the record and once I had acquired a copy it became one of my favourites. if jazz had "stopped" in 1950, you could almost argue that this was some kind of pinnacle in the music.

A lot has been made of this record inspiring a whole new movement of "cool" jazz and it is fair enough to say that a great deal of arranging by big bands in the 50's from Shorty Rogers through to the early Sun Ra records take these arrangements as a cue. Back in 1985, the whole "cool" concept of jazz seemed very significant in my opinion but the movement that was so popular in the 1950's seems less important in the scheme of things these days. If this is cool, a good proportion of ECM records must therefore be almost Ice Age.

Listening to it afresh yesterday I was surprised to see that my perception of the music had total changed. I had always been aware that Gil Evans had only contributed two arrangements (Boplicity" and Moon Dreams") but always believed the whole project to have been Miles' baby but very much steered under the tutelage of the Canadian. I am not now convinced that either of these two individuals are the principle character behind these legendary sessions. For me, the most dominant voice , both as a writer and soloist, is Gerry Mulligan. Of all the arrangements, Mulligan's are perhaps the most immediately recognisable and distinctive plus he seems to have grasped the potential of this instrumental more than any other. I have to say that this music is at it's best when they are playing Mulligan arrangements and quite how the baritone saxophonist managed to fall down the pecking order in these records if difficult to understand in 2017. Even though Miles was the titular leader and organised the sessions, it is Mulligan's involvement which leaves the largest trace if musical DNA by a massive margin. For me , Mulligan was one of the foremost arrangers at this point in time and I have always felt his writing ability was sorely underappreciated. He wasn't as radical as Evans, but I think he was as equally capable.

There are also some really other interesting observations. "Moon Dreams" sounds, for all intents and purposes, like an arrangement for Claude Thornhill's band and is probably the least "hip" of all the arrangements until the final third where Evans does something totally unique and abandons the structure of the tune during the last third. I had not twigged this before. It is totally radical and almost steers the music towards the kind of chamber music written by the Second Viennese school. I am not sure that there were many other arrangers at this time taking these kinds of liberties with song form and the simple building block Evans uses for the final third of this disc mirrors his approach on albums like "out of the cool" which minimal material to produce something amazing. "Boplicity" still sounds exceptional.

The second interesting thing is that the least interesting arrangements are those by John Lewis. They lack the extent of counterpoint that Lewis later became associated with and are really pretty standard big band tracks with the odd riff and instruments combined to hold the harmony behind the soloists. I will need to listen again to this to confirm my suspicions. I would have to say that the two least successful arrangements are "Budo" and "Move" - the latter simply being a rehash of "I got rhythm" (which does use some counterpoint in the head!) "Move" is not played as sharply as many of the other tracks.

The third thing is the one vocal track. I am not impressed by the singer even though he was ok-ish with Gillespie. His singing is a bit out of tune on "Darn that dream" but , even worse, it seems out of time with the modernity of this group's music.

Fourth point, Johnny Carisi's "Israel" is the most modern and "progressive" of all the tunes and offers a window in to the kind of music that Miles would later get involved with. However, this is essentially a blues even if harmonically buckled and twisted in to something that much have sounded shockingly modern at the time. Unfortunately, it is the worst played arrangement of the lot and the band stumble all over the place which is a shame.

The final point that I would like to check again is that there was a passage in one of the Lewis arrangements which sounded like it was written by Evans. I can't remember which track it was and want to listen again to make sure that I was hearing this correct but I will try to identify again when I have the disc in on the car.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for your analysis, Ian. Encouraged me to listen to this album again.

For me, the important point was that the soloists played in a lyrical song-like way. I guess the harmonious arrangements encouraged them to do this, but they do sound "of their era". It has always surprised me that Coleman, Coltrane and the free Jazz movement won the argument.

I have a low threshold level of acceptance for jazz singers. Perhaps entertainers as much as musicians. But this is a compilation Album, so I gather.

Several versions of this Album available? Which one?? .
    Last edited by Quarky; 20-04-17, 13:00.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

Ian, I think the underlying interrelationships between the arrangers and players are more complex than you suggest, and the contributions are perhaps not as clear-cut as you intimate. You might take a listen to the band's live "Royal Roost" sessions (on the Early Miles Proper box, or the recently released "Dream Covers" edition that groups the studio and live recordings together on one CD). There are around 4 pages of material on this in the "Early Miles Davis" chapter of my New History of Jazz that aim to sort out the background a bit more fully.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        Ian, I think the underlying interrelationships between the arrangers and players are more complex than you suggest, and the contributions are perhaps not as clear-cut as you intimate. You might take a listen to the band's live "Royal Roost" sessions (on the Early Miles Proper box, or the recently released "Dream Covers" edition that groups the studio and live recordings together on one CD). There are around 4 pages of material on this in the "Early Miles Davis" chapter of my New History of Jazz that aim to sort out the background a bit more fully.
        Not wishing to contradict, but Gunther Schuller would agree with Ian's assessment of the ending to "Moon Beams", which he described, in a R3 interview, as effectively atonal before finally resolving after the quite protracted, albeit thematically consequent closing passage.

I always thought the soundworld of Birth of the Cool was supposed to have been strongly influenced by that of Claude Thornhill's earlier band, which iirc had Mulligan in it?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Alyn

Thanks for the "heads up" and I have just read the chapter you recommended. It is interesting to see the arrangements you have picked out for merit but intriguing to see the merits you hear with the more boppish John Lewis charts as opposed to the more through-composed Mulligan ones. This is where I feel that Lewis is the least interesting of the four arrangers albeit I concur that "Rouge" is a great chart. "Budo" is pretty much a head-solo-head arrangement and probably similar in scope to "Move" insofar that Lewis was still very much working in the confines of be-bop. To my ears, the Evans and the Carisi charts are the most "progressive" and the three that look beyond bop to where the music was heading in the next decade. However, Mulligan seems to have captured the potential of the line up with the voicings and the way that he extensively uses writing passages within which to incorporate the solo. I wouldn't want to take the credit away from either Miles or Gil yet returning to these records again last night I was surprised just how much Mulligan did contribute. I think that the only other times in music something so radical ever sounded so beautiful was when Chopin and Debussy arrived on the Classical scene.

The BoftC records are all terrific with the exception of the vocal one which is the least interesting and appealing one of the bunch. "Dan that dream" is a pretty peculiar standard anyway and I don't think Hagood's singing really helps.

I did not realise that Mulligan also arranged for Thornhill's band where he also would have encountered Gil Evans. The issue with the influence of Thornhill is fascinating and although it was primarily a dance band (even more than say Glenn Miller), the scoring is just amazing. Thornhill was no slouch himself at writing and the records they left behind are probably the most musically interesting of any of the non-jazz big bands. Most people only ever think of the Evans arrangements of the bop numbers yet there was far more to this band. This track always sounds pretty radical for the early 1940's:-

The curious thing about the BoftC band was that I always felt that the band sounded radical was because of the use of the French horn and tuba which opened up a new sound work to jazz. However, I think that the music could have been played with more traditional instruments that were in the same range and still sounded radical because of the use of harmony was extremely original.

Mulligan started off with the micky-mouse band led by Tommy Tucker but first came to attention with Eliot Lawrence's progressive big band. He made his name writing for Gene Krupa's bop-inspired band. There is a terrific album of Mulligan arrangements recorded by a studio band led by Krupa that concludes the likes of Hank Jones and Phil Woods which was made in the late 50's. Although the arrangements were then over a decade old, this is one of the very best albums Verve ever released and is in a marked contrast to what you usually associate with Krupa. Of course, Mulligan's own big band albums are very useful indeed and , I would suggest, represent his finest work.

Comment

Working...
          X